Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Add to Group/Remove from Group commands

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
How about two new group commands?
Let us say I have a Group and I need to have some additional elements to also be part of the group.
I would select the elements I want to add, then click any member of the group and the elements would be added to the group.
Right now, I would have to ungroup the Group, add new elements to the selection, then group them. Can be done, but the method I am suggesting would be more elegant.

Remove from Group would work the other way.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
11 REPLIES 11
Dwight
Newcomer
My experience is that single ungrouped elements can be added to an existing group by: selecting the group, selecting the new element, giving the GROUP command.

In the case of amalgamating two groups, the ungroup command steps back one layer of grouping each time you UNGROUP.

This behavior seems quite logical....
Dwight Atkinson
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Or you can have them all selected first, then ungroup and group again very quickly.

I see what you're saying Laci, but it's not super high on my list mate!

Cheers,
Link.
__archiben
Booster
hmm. sometimes i get a little frustrated with the grouping logic too. but when i take a step back i find that it's generally when i'm doing a whole heap of repetitive and specific grouping operations that are an exception rather than the norm to normal operations. it's usually fine for most other operations.

don't forget that you can already remove from the group one or more specific items by selecting them with groups suspended and then hitting the 'group/ungroup' command.

what i would like is for hierarchical groupings to be remembered and replicated in a copied parent group.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Thanks for the input, guys.
As I see this is not going to make it into ArchiCAD.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
This will unnecessary complicate the procedure. With a nice shortcut assignment it is very fast now.

Dwight, if you have suspended groups and you add a new element to an existing group, when you ungroup they do it entirely, not it in steps! If groups ave been enabled, it works the way you described it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I woud like a warning message that says "You are about to copy a group. 'Suspend Groups' is currently ON. Do you really want to do this?"

Keith

Archicad Ver 11. Mac OSX 10.4.8
Professor Pickle
Advocate
I propose a different style of interaction for this feature.

To add new elements to a group:

- Select a group you wish to modify
- Enable "add to group" mode
- Click on any other elements or groups of elements you wish to add to the group

To remove elements from a group:

- Select a group you wish to modify
- Enable "remove from group" mode
- Click on any other elements or groups of elements you wish to remove from the group
Pushing the boundaries of local time/space continuum since 1972.
Archicad 26 | iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017) | 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 24 GB | Radeon Pro 580 8 GB | macOS 12.6

As it is now adding to a group is as easy as selecting the group, selecting your new items, and simply grouping again.

To delete from group, that may need a feature addition.

I would also like to see the ability to have nested groups.
Rex Maximilian, Honolulu, USA - www.rexmaximilian.com
ArchiCAD 27 (user since 3.4, 1991)
16" MacBook Pro; M1 Max (2021), 32GB RAM, 1 TB SSD, 32-Core GPU
Apple Vision Pro w/ BIMx
Creator of the Maximilian ArchiCAD Template System
Barry Kelly
Rex wrote:
As it is now adding to a group is as easy as selecting the group, selecting your new items, and simply grouping again.

This doesn't really add to a group - this creates a new group with the original group and the new selection.
When you un-group you will still have the original group there.

Rex wrote:
To delete from group, that may need a feature addition.

You can select the group, suspend the group, un-select elements, then group what is left selected.
This will create then new group with less elements and everything else that was unselected will remain in the original group.

Still this is not as easy as 'ad to group' and 'remove from group'

Rex wrote:
I would also like to see the ability to have nested groups.

They technically are nested groups - you can have groups within groups.
The problem is we can't select the individual groups - they are either all enabled and act as one group or they are all disabled and act as individual elements.
Only by un-grouping nested groups can you select the individual groups that made it up.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11