BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Allow doors or windows to create opening in multiple elements

BB2000
Participant

It would be handy if the door / window tool could create an opening through other elements sitting adjacent to the "host"

In the image below of a recent project, we have the existing walls (blue) which we are creating an opening through. The existing walls are also being lined internally (yellow) and clad externally (pink). To achieve this in Archicad we placed the door object into the existing wall and then added to further empty door opening to the yellow and pink walls. It would be handy if we could allow door and windows to create openings in other elements like the opening tool can.

If this is not possible perhaps even if the openings could be linked so that moving one moves all?

Would be good to hear what other people do in situations like this or if anyone else thinks this would be a good addition.

BB2000_0-1676652954022.png

12 REPLIES 12

I believe there are pros and cons for both options.

There will be cases where you need to split between existing and new in the IFC file as well.(you can exclude from collision in the building material, i know ) Maybe just send the new elements for cost calculation.

There will be cases where you want the opening in the new wall to be different than the one in the existing model, so then you want them separate again.

Overall i believe the best is to have both options available....how? Thats the tricky part. Maybe 90% of cases need to have the option to use one opening into 2 or 3 walls. Using the opening tools is also problematic, as you need to always check visually that it matches the size of the door/window in the new wall.

Long story short...it depends and Gs should wake up.

Archicad 23/25/26 NL , MacOS 13.4.1 (c) on MacStudio M1 Max
Lingwisyer
Guru

Wish: https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Wishes-forum/Opening-Tool-as-Standard-Wall-Penetration-Tool/m-p/...

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
g r a n t
Enthusiast

You are reading my mind.....I just posted essentially the same question.

It looks like it remains not possible. 

I like Option C.

Grant

I started learning ArchiCAD at age 50....bear with me,
AC26
MacBook Pro M1 Max.
Ventura 13.1
Learn and get certified!