Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Allow elements to be assigned to Multiple Renovation Filters

DGSketcher
Legend
The main problem with using the Renovation Filters for anything other than the basic New, Demo, Existing modes is that an element is stuck on a single filter setting. If the filters operated more like layer combos where an element can appear in multiple filters then the problem could be solved for all sorts of issues including phasing and alternative layouts. For example an element could be common to a proposed layout and assigned to appear with Filters 1 AND 2 but you could then have optional furniture layouts that only appear on Filter 1 OR 2. Another option would be to use it so that elements can be grouped & displayed by a classification e.g. by trade, IFC or other classification system. Allowing element assignment to multiple filters would make the display options adaptable to different user needs whilst still retaining the New, Demo, Existing option.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Trevor,
The reason I think this is not a viable solution, is because Renovation, Partial Structure Display, Llayer and Layer Combo are all sorts of Filters. Today, if you notice a missing element on your Project or View Map, you have to check in 4 places, if you or someone put the element in the wrong place. So why not concentrate all the "Existential" aspects of an element in a single place? I call "Existential" aspects, because Visibility can be just one property (among lots of others) of an element, that can vary in innumerous situations. i.e. I may be modeling a very crowd building space full of MEP's and I just want to hide 2 or 3 MEP elements... In this case, if all elements have a Visibility Property, I can temporarily turn it off for those particular elements... Apply a Model Filter with a "Only Visible" Rule, and that's it... even though these elements share the same Renovation, Structure Function and Layer status with other elements, I just hide those specific. So, yes, allowing elements to be assigned to multiple renovation filter could solve some issues. But it would surely add another layer of mess to our workflows.
DGSketcher
Legend
Hay Paulo, Seems from the lack of response this has fallen on stony ground anyway. It was just a suggestion that theoretically shouldn't have been too difficult to implement and could have been the first step on development of an open element filter system. The problems that we face in managing the visibility of elements are essentially buried in the user interface. Evolving the Renovation Filter could be taken in a few steps such that initially we can create multi selectable filters which are simply a means to display an element if it is a member of the current filter, the next stage would be to take each filter and effectively merge it with the Find & Select code and finally adapt it to apply multiple actions e.g. show or hide elements meeting the criteria. Fundamentally though if it doesn't work better than simply layering then we will be forever stuck with the same ageing element display workflow. Don't forget we have to manage legacy data in the development road map aswell.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
DGSketcher wrote:
Don't forget we have to manage legacy data in the development road map aswell.
No problem. Just create, for example, a locked property named "Layer" to every AC element. Forward migration convert legacy Layer to Property Layer. Backward migration the opposite.