Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Allow vertical rotation of design elements

Jay
Contributor

Allow vertical rotation of objects like curtain walls and others than can be used horizontally or at a specific angle.
For example when using curtain wall as the cap or cover of a light tunnel. We need to be able to rotate this elements vertically (in a perpendicular axis) as we can with morphs: free-rotate

5 REPLIES 5
DGSketcher
Legend

This is one of my frustrations with AC, particularly the issue of beams & columns only rotating to 89 degrees. Ok I get there's a bit of a maths issue, but as said above it doesn't constrain Morphs, or Shells, so why limit other elements. Sketchup has had this freedom since inception, so why can't AC? The ability to model something on plan from a 2D drawing and then rotate it 90 degrees, or some other angle, whilst retaining the original element & BIM properties would make life a lot easier for design.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly

Curtain walls can be sloped (just like regular walls), but not so that are perfectly horizontal.

You can however model a horizontal curtain wall using the 'boundary' geometry method.

BarryKelly_0-1655690031370.png

But no, you can't rotate from vertical to horizontal.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
mikas
Expert

You can actually rotate a curtain wall to horizontal. Not in the Tool Window (it's 1° only), but you can rotate it in 3D view to horizantal. After rotating it like that, it will loose the angle parameter from the tool window. If you again rotate it in 3D, the angle parameter becomes visible and is editable again.

Warning: if you play with it enough, strange things can happen. But I guess Curtain Wall Tool is a bit like that anyway.

AC25, Rhino6/7+Grasshopper, TwinMotionMac Pro 6,1 E5-1650v2-3,5GHz/128GB/eGPU:6800XT/11.6.5 • HP Z4/Xeon W-2195/256GB/RX6800XT/W10ProWS
Jay
Contributor

Well, curtain walls were just an example. But lets pick another one... An object... I want to place a car on a ramp. I can't make it coincide with the slope of the ramp. Not just a ramp, but lets say a sidewalk is sloped because of the terrain levels, how do I place a person on a bicycle going down on that road or sidewalk that is sloped if I can't rotate it vertically? I cannot rotate or slant a wall either. Can't rotate a window. I can't rotate nothing but morphs vertically. Why?

For object that don't have the ability to rotate, you can download a 'rotator' object that will allow you to do that.

Save you having to edit the GDL scripts.

BarryKelly_0-1658800201639.png

Walls can incline perpendicular to their length but not along their length.

Windows don't normally rotate (in real life) but there are polygon windows you can use to make any shape you want.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11