Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Archicad classification differs between language versions

Martin Jan Rosa
Booster

Dear GS,

I am just going thru the CZE Archicad 25 that was released today, and I noticed an inconsistency in the Archicad default classification system. Why is the classification in CZE version still lacking some items compared to the international version? Isn't one of the main features of using of classification systems that they are equal globally, regardless how the individual items are translated?

Not mention the differences in the default setting of IFC translators, that are useless in the CZE version (I know one must set-up properly the translators according to individual needs, but the settings in CZE are almost randomized...)

Of course i can fix it quite easily, but shouldn't it be correct "out-of-the box"?

Martin Rosa

www.martinrosa.cz
GRAPHISOFT Certified Archicad BIM Manager, 2021, 2023
AC 27 CZ @ macOS 14.3
5 REPLIES 5
Miha_M
Advisor

We had that conversation on our BIMmanager course, I don't know if you've seen my reply there. The localized Archicad version is most likely managed by your local Archicad representative, so it's probably them who should answer your question. The level of adoption depends on their knowhow and probable also on your national legislation. I am on an INT version as our market is not big enough for a localized version, but we do get access to a local template. This one has been adopted in some ways for element properties and classification, but it's not one I would work on. The mapping between the classifications and the ifc translator is not set up as it should be, as quite a lot of Pset entries got lost somehow (marked red as missing). On my question why I got an honest answer; the level of BIM usage in our country is poor and has not yet been established on any standard. We are currently on a trial & error path right now. Some are using Omniclass classifications, some are talking about working in LOD 400, some even talk about plain BIM projects, but most of them don't understand the difference between a classification and an ifc instance. The local Archicad guys are balancing their position in all this mess so the established template is nothing but a mirrored picture of the state our national BIM standards are on. The CZ market is quite bigger so I hope your localization will be set up better in the near future. It should be.

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Erwin Edel
Rockstar

Ahoj Martine!

You might want to check with the local reseller in Czech Republic. I know in NL our reseller (kubus) creates the classification systems that ship with the templates.

The one we have is quite elaborate and ties in with a large set of Properties that are mapped out to IFC.

We actually do have local standards for BIM that are accepted by most parties (BIM Basis ILS). I'd suspect most countries do, sadly.

Best of luck a hezký den 🙂

Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Martin Jan Rosa
Booster

Hi Miha and Erwin, thank you for your reply, I will discuss this topic with the local distributor.

I am just thinking about the Archicad default classification as something that is being used primarily for working in the Archicad (as an internal classification that suits the Archicad users for setting up quantity takeoffs etc.). Of course, some classification systems are emerging in the Czech Republic (one (SNIM), which is being developed from the initiative of the market, and second (CCI), which is being developed internationally and should be the “official” one), but I am quite sure these will be used in Archicad as additional classifications as they are not sufficient for classification of Archicad objects (for example, one cannot classify such a basic item like lintel with the latter one). But you are right, that is something that local distributor should take care of.

www.martinrosa.cz
AC 27 CZ @ macOS 14.3
Miha_M
Advisor

Hi @Martin Jan Rosa!

A lintel classification option is integrated into the Archicad Classification v 2.0 in my INT localization. I also checked the GER version Archicad Klassifizierung, which also has the "Sturz" (german for lintel) instance. Is your CZ localization without this one?

Miha_M_0-1631868079688.png

I have to be honest though, it has been a struggle sometimes finding the right instance as english is not my native language and some given terms are quite discipline specific. But the positive side to that is that my english is maybe becoming a bit better because of that. 🙂

| Archicad 4.55 - 27
| HP Z840 | 2× E5-2643 v4 | 64 GB RAM | Quadro M5000 | Windows 10 Pro x64
| HP Z4 G4 | W-2245 | 64 GB RAM | RTX A4000 | Windows 11

Hi Miha, I didn't make myself clear, I wanted to say, that the Lintel is missing in the Czech "official" classification; on the contrary, it is present in the Archicad CZE standard classification (that's why I hope that the Archicad internal classification won't be replaced by the Czech "official" one because I need to classify lintels in my project for producing some of the take-offs). The items that are missing in the Czech Archicad classification in comparison with the INT one are less significant (I regard the internal Archicad classification as a good one for working in Archicad, my only concern is if it should be equal globally or not).
I stuggle with the language too (it's not just a matter of translation, as there is sometimes one word in English that means more kinds of constructions or components (I had some discussions yesterday about the wall-plates that can have more translations in our language); I think there is a standard under development in BuildingSmart that is dealing with this 😉 ).

www.martinrosa.cz
AC 27 CZ @ macOS 14.3