BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Auto GDL Materializer

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
We know that GS "blessed" us by using a SPECIAL command that turned any slab with an ID "WALLHOLE" into a WALLHOLE command for windows and doors...

Here, I am proposing something much the same...

1. GS to create some special character like asterisk at the beginning AND the end of a material name

*LegMat*

2. Users then create a Material Named *LegMat* in their materials library.

3. When used as the material for an element in a SAVE AS LIBRARY PART...AC would create that PARAMETER and assign it as a parameter to the objects gdl..

Sounds so simple when I write out...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
5 REPLIES 5
Karl Ottenstein
I like the big concept, but perhaps not your suggested implementation, Duane: the materials attributes would be cluttered with the *name* things which someone might accidentally use as a real material, even to the point of having the generated parameter LegMat set to *LegMat*.

I think a better solution is for GS to simply implement what Oleg Schmidt had given us with his AC 8.1 and AC 9 add-on called "rxAutoMaterials" - it automatically parameterized ALL materials in a user-saved GDL object (when saved as editable script). You just ran his add-on, and got a new object that was fully parametric, with material defaults set to the ones assigned to surfaces during the original save. You even got to specify the name you wanted (such as your Leg Material).

In case you didn't use it, attached is the PDF Manual that Oleg distributed. IMHO, it was perfect for no-editing parameterization of quick save-as objects. I would love for Graphisoft to kindly purchase the code from Oleg (as a courtesy - of course they could write it from scratch) and add it to the ArchiCAD distribution!

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Rafal SLEK
Enthusiast
Yes, the Question is:
"Why parameters are not created automatically during library part saving"?
Not with help of add-on or by special characters etc. It will be helpful not only for non-gdl-scripters but also for advanced users (its easier to hide parameter than set new one and check all the script)
MacBook Pro Retina 2019/2.4 GHz/Intel Core i9/32GB RAM/Radeon Pro 5500M 4GB/macOS 11.6/ArchiCAD 25vINT+POL/Maxwell Render 5.2/Twinmotion 2022.1
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Can of worms now open!

YES, and Yes...

Why not ALWAYS have MATERIALS show up as parameters... I like that even better... As long as there's a system...

The reason I went the route I did is the NAMING (which Oleg's version appears to do)...

How will the code know what to NAME / DESCRIBE the parameter.. Maybe an INTERRUPT box that has you apply names on the SAVE...

I just don't want to see a settings dialog with

Matl 1
Matl 2
Matl 3
and so on....
Duane

Visual Frontiers

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I know this is NOT the place, but can someone direct me to a discussion of SAVING OBJECTS and BUILDING LIBRARIES under the TW2/BimServer scenario?

I know HOW to save stuff... I'm just not seeing the MANAGEMENT of OFFICE LIBRARIES via BimSERVER yet.....
Duane

Visual Frontiers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Great idea! This could solve a lot of perceived problems with creating custom objects by saving from the floorplan/3d window!

If all faces sharing the same material were automatically given the same parameter name, it would be fairly easy to identify which material parameter controlled which part. It would be simple even for the beginner to open up the object (Ctrl+Shift+O) if they wanted, and modify the displayed names to something more meaningful, then resave the object again.

I wonder if would be possible to do the same with the length parameters of the various parts? You could potentially create a parametrically resizable object straight from the floorplan!
Learn and get certified!