Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Auto-Rebuild Details & Worksheets

J_Tucks
Booster

Don't know how this is still not a thing. Why do sections and elevations have 'Auto-rebuild' and 'Manual rebuild' where as details and worksheets are converted to dumb fills and lines??  This means you essentially can't add detailing like dimensions, labels or annotations to a floor plan callout with out checking it every time a change is made on the associated floor plan. Making them consistent with floor plans, sections, elevations should be a simple fix and a huge benefit to users.

Additional info:

I've seen work around for dimensioning by using hotspots, as listed here: https://community.Graphisoft.com/t5/Design-forum/detail-auto-rebuild/m-p/124760

This is a horrible workaround as your dimensions are not linked to model elements and do not update accordingly.

Our current work around is also horrible. We place a worksheet marker on the drawing, then save a floor plan view at 1:50 and place a 'background fill' around everything except the worksheet callout boundary. We then have seperate layers used for dimensioning that callout. Its messy, you can't have callouts close together, and display orders also become an issue.

ARCHICAD 25 - Mac OS Monterey - MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16gb DDR3
9 REPLIES 9
Dendarii
Booster

Agreed.   Archicad Details need to be views of the live BIM 3D model. 

Worksheets could be kept as a 2D drafting space for working and perhaps the odd 1:2 or 1:1 detail that you wouldn't model in 3D.

Revit details are live views of the model and it makes documenting a breeze, in Archicad the current detailing setup is painful and prone to errors!

Architect

Archicad user since 2001
gdford
Advisor

Agree 100%

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000

You use sections as detail views, has been this work around for as long as I can remember. Agree, should be live detail views. That's how far behind Archicad is compared to every other software in usability. 

Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,

This works for vertical details but not for plan view details. It's also messy like my previous solution with using the worksheet tool and floor plan views. 

ARCHICAD 25 - Mac OS Monterey - MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16gb DDR3

Just use layers for different plan views.

If you need to crop just certain areas of the plan, you can do that in the views that you place on the layouts.

And remember you can stack views in layouts on top of each other, so you can crop one for just the walls of a room and then overlay lay it with a view for text and dimensions that isn't cropped (or not cropped quite so much).

In 20+ years of using Archicad, I have never used a worksheet and very rarely ever used the detail tool.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Barry Kellythats what we currently do. We place the worksheet markers on the floor plan, but do not use the tool because its so useless and impractical. We then have ''callout 1" "callout 2" and "callout 3" layers which host a background fill that covers everything inside the worksheet area, as well as the dimensions and additional labels that are used for the items within that callout drawing. The reason we have 3 seperate layers is so that callouts which are very close together can be dimensioned independently of each other without affecting the or obstructing the others view. It works. But its definitely a work around and not a seamless way of working. 

Your last sentence proves my point. You have never used a worksheet and very rarely ever used the detail tool. Because they aren't any good. However, making them live views would make the useful tools that would help us document our plans without clunky work arounds.

I don't use fills as I find it messy bringing elements forwards and backwards.

I just use layer combinations and views.

The only downside is while you are working on the room  plans, you still see the entire plan and not a cropped view.

But it all makes sense once you have the views cropped on your layouts.

Here is a link to an old post describing what I do.

https://community.graphisoft.com/t5/Document-Visualize-forum/How-to-create-LIVE-Detail-Floor-Plans/t...

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Benjamin Dani
Graphisoft
Graphisoft

Dear All,

Thank you for sharing your ideas and opinions regarding this request!

I'm glad to say that we took notice and we have added this wish into our Wish list database.
(For future reference, you can refer to it as IDEA-12329)

I hope we see this get implemented in the future.

Have a great day!

Best regards,

Dani Benjamin
Technical Support Engineer

gdford
Advisor

Another approach would be that plan views could have white area rollups like sections and elevations have, through it would be better if that was built into the detail tool.

Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000