BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

*.BIM instead of *.PLN

JCovarrubias
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
What if the next version of the ArchiCAD file format ended with *.BIM instead of *.PLN?
http://tr.graphisoftus.com/
Jeffry Covarrubias
GS US Technical Support Team Leader
P-C2D 1.86GHz/2GB w/ 256MB GeForce 8600GTS; G4 OS 10.4.10 1GHz/1GB "[that other software] is a fancy set of electronic marker pens"
9 REPLIES 9
TomWaltz
Participant
We'd make fun of you a lot 🙂
Tom Waltz
Karl Ottenstein
JCovarrubias wrote:
What if the next version of the ArchiCAD file format ended with *.BIM instead of *.PLN?
Makes sense to me. PLN meaning "plan" sure sounds like flatland. And, what the heck, grab the *.bim extension before some other firm does! 😉

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
aahatimo
Newcomer
keep them coming jeffry, you are on a roll!
tim hanagan
aaha! design studio durango, co
27" retina 5k iMac 4ghz i7 os 10.13.6 m395x 4 mb, 32gb ram, 512 gb ssd ac 22 current
15" retina mbp 2.6ghz 1mb 16gb ac 22 current[/size]
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
There is also the *.PEN (Parametric-enabled) extension they start to talk about in the industry these days.
Laszlo
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
How about .vbm
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
__archiben
Booster
how about a software company having the vision (and modesty) to develop an open-source, cross-platform, cross-application file format with developers of all other related software so that we as users can finally collaborate without jumping through hoops . . .

. . . isn't it called *.ifc (or maybe *.xml is promising to do this across the whole computing field?)

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Anonymous
Not applicable
Geoff wrote:
How about .vbm
Shucks Geoff, you beat me to it. (That'll teach me for going away )

I like .vbm

It could be the unified successor to .pln, .pla, & .plp per my old wish at:

Unified Project File Type

(Which I just noticed got a bunch of positive votes but no comments. Is there nothing more to say?)

BTW: Ben, I LOVE the idea of a single file type accessible by multiple applications, but the realization of it is stuck somewhere in the conflict between private enterprise and the public interest. Software companies make much of their revenue by owning the file formats in which we store our work, and I'm not sure that open-source or common formats like IFC will get enough support from private developers.
__archiben
Booster
Matthew wrote:
. . . a single file type accessible by multiple applications, but the realization of it is stuck somewhere in the conflict between private enterprise and the public interest. Software companies make much of their revenue by owning the file formats in which we store our work, and I'm not sure that open-source or common formats like IFC will get enough support from private developers.
yeah i know. always the user that suffers at the hands of the corporations! something that BUGS me big time everywhere i look:
file types, cable plugs, phone/peripheral chargers, etc, etc, etc...

shouldn't ought to be allowed!

that's the friday rant over! have a good weekend.
~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Matthew wrote:
I like .vbm...It could be the unified successor to .pln, .pla, & .plp per my old wish...(Which I just noticed got a bunch of positive votes but no comments. Is there nothing more to say?)
Even with the mythic .vbm in place mightn’t we not still need a special file type for Teamwork drafts? They could be .twk

I just put in a plug for the unified file concept at http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=2561&highlight=. This topic should receive more attention, best if in the somewhat broader context of libraries, Teamwork, and model sharing.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Learn and get certified!