Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

BY LAYER OVERRIDES

vfrontiers
Enthusiast
I hate to sound ACADish (which I've never used) but can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE install some sort of BYLAYER function into the Layer Combos?

We need to be able to globally change PENS / LINETYPES with an override based on which combo we in. EG. Walls should be BOLD in floor plan (pen defined in plan) yet for HVAC and ELEC should be THIN or even GREYED OUT (color or linetype override)...

I have been asking since version 4.....
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
5 REPLIES 5
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
This is an important feature.

The settings dialog box for these "Layer Attributes" could contain all the various pens, fills and options found in all the tools, that is not just plan settings but section, elevation and show-on-other-story options too.

As in your example, it would be easy to emphasize or de-emphasize elements. And it's a great way to get consistent graphics for certain objects like casework or text.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have been asking these since version 4, plus insults kicking and screaming and look what we have got :quickview publisher but not what I am asking for .

The followings items should be clearly options set at the later combination
- scale of the combination
-display option of the combination
- text (layer of text to follow combination) for this one need to add a new text toll specific to the combination
- pen settings of the combination

In fact the layer combination and publisher should be merged. I personally do not agree how this was developed by GS, and believe that is a result of lateral innovative fixing and not by design.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Adalbert wrote:
The followings items should be clearly options set at the later combination
- scale of the combination
-display option of the combination
- text (layer of text to follow combination) for this one need to add a new text toll specific to the combination
- pen settings of the combination.
You pretty much are describing what Quickviews already does, except for the pen option which I'm not fully convinced about. How would would you input the pen weight of a line that can have multiple pen weights in different layer combos? How then do you do that with 100 lines, walls, etc that can have any combo of line weights. I guess if you could toggle layers to be hairline and true weight that may work.

I personally really like how Quickviews and Publisher work and how it integrates with PlotMaker. I give GS an "A". Of course there is always room for improvement and innovation. One thing I wish they wouldn't have gotten rid of is the ability to set Quickviews for just Display Options. I use to like to toggle between hairline and true weight, now I have to go into the display settings to do that instead of using a Quickview.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Duane,

You are such a power user. I am sure you already now this but for others that may need help with this.
I am writing in response to:
I hate to sound ACADish (which I've never used) but can we PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE install some sort of BYLAYER function into the Layer Combos?

We need to be able to globally change PENS / LINETYPES with an override based on which combo we in. EG. Walls should be BOLD in floor plan (pen defined in plan) yet for HVAC and ELEC should be THIN or even GREYED OUT (color or linetype override)...

Do you currently handle this in PlotMaker?

I actually have my pens set up there as a blank .pmk file (off the sheet) and then use the syringe [alt-click]to match the properties (ACAD Term) then I will inject those into the drawing that I want to change the pen weights by using [control-click]. This will ask you if you want to change the pens color, weights, etc.

As long as you plan ahead and use pen weights for electrical items, etc with their own pen, this works well. You will want to also make sure your walls are on the same layer so you can change them to a lighter pen weight.

I hope this make sense. Maybe I will write it as the next tech tip.

Thanks,
gpowless
Advocate
I am both an architectural designer and a certified HVAC designer.

Typically, I prepare all my HVAC (and electrical / plumbing) in non-standard pens and when I plot I change the standard pens (the architectural component) to a thin line. Then the HVAC pens are at their assigned thickness.

It produces nice drawings.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full