Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Basic Stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi!

I have 6 year experience in Archicad from version 6.5 and back then ArchiCAD was for me, a dream come true. Now we have ArchiCAD 10 and i think it is time for core changes!

My biggest wishes are:

1. Connected walls, slabs, columns and beams ruled by newly introduced priorities - Revit has that (giving us a clean sections without workarounds, and easy modifications!!!!)

2. New definition of materials as core concept of Archicad - materials should be connected with calculation. In fact materials should be calculation, as they are in real world transforming calculation in a whole new direction, property scripts linked within the attributes of wall/slab/beam/column defining the calculation whether we are talking volumes m3, surfaces m2, pieces, lenght..... Present situation with property objects is arrrrrh............................
If you have a composite wall made of 20cm thick concerte, 10 cm exterior insulation, 2cm interior finishing i want to be able to define: concrete is load bearing element and it is the core and it goes in construction works in calcuation with following keys descriptors and so on, same thing with insulation not a load bearing element it goes in insulation works in calculation - so program would know what to do when some variable changes within a wall, whether is height or thickness of individual composite resulting that we wouldn't need to do constant changes in database. Same thing goes for slabs, beams, columns. We all know that this kind of changes are the most common, this is the BASIC STUFF for me walls/slabs/beams/colums, and yes that include custom profiles tooooooo!!!!- Nemetschek has something like that

3. Core only display - ability to assign layers to composites within the wall/slab/beam... switching it of and on in connection with display options (but also to have a real representation in floor plan!!! e.g. a window in reflected celings should be diplayed as two lines of concrete hole, because now we have only two options a) no lines b) cut lines of entire wall not the core element only, and it is not the right way to display this in our CD i dont know how it is done in other countries though)

I know that users discused these topics before but I think these three things are connected and should be addresed as a SINGLE PROBLEM producing a SINGLE SOLUTION no more half now half in next version,
I`m aware that this means complete changes in program engine but in my humble opinion this is necessary.

I hope more experienced users would share their thoughts on this problem that i find THE most important one....

Thnx
12 REPLIES 12
TomWaltz
Participant
Usually when someone's first post is a list of wishes, it's all stuff that actually can be done they just did not find it in the manual yet.... this is a perfectly valid and well-thought series of requests.

Welcome to the Forum!
(cool avatar, too!)
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
TomWaltz wrote:

Welcome to the Forum!

Tom, thank you for the welcome you given me.

Well only 5 votes, perhaps my wishes are far fetched or my english explanations suck. I`m not going
to even mention the stairmaker problem it has been discussed for over 3years now with no visible progress.

Either way i hope that boys in Graphisoft would start making changes otherwise in few years time the big A
will be our....
__archiben
Booster
SoPoT wrote:
Well only 5 votes, perhaps my wishes are far fetched or my english explanations <b>[censored]</b>.
i think it was probably because you put multiple wishes in one thread. it's always difficult to vote when there is more than one wish in a poll. especially on big ideas like your wish no.2.

i agree with tom: these are great wishes and probably need to be considered independently to each other if you want to get much more feedback.
no more half now half in next version...
that is one ABSOLUTELY essential wish all on its own!

welcome again. and say hi to your forum admin for me . . .

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Thomas Holm
Booster
I fully agree on your wiishes, and with Tom and Ben. Welcome!

And I think the reason for the few votes is that there are so many more or less useless wishes and polls out. I usually don't bother to vote.
AC4.1-AC26SWE; MacOS13.5.1; MP5,1+MBP16,1
Anonymous
Not applicable
~/archiben wrote:

i agree with tom: these are great wishes and probably need to be considered independently to each other if you want to get much more feedback.
no more half now half in next version...

that is one ABSOLUTELY essential wish all on its own!

~/archiben

You may be right about more than one wish in the pool but as i said before, all this seemed to me so connected that I decided to put everything together as one big wish with 3 subwishes.

Yes wish no.2. is THE wish, this is the only thing that you simply cannot do with various workarounds. Experience and some "tricks" could solve some of the problems in wishes no.1 and no.3 but for a newbie these things are a nightmare.
E.g. basement wall and slab - I`m able to get a clean section (as you see in attached pictures) and correct floor plan but this is accompished with two complex walls, slab, floor accessory and a real understanding of Archicad attributes making a killer template for our standards.We all know what is the biggest drawback in complex walls.

As I said newbie is lost when he faces these kind of things I know that first hand. I`ve seen too many of them quit before they manage to cross that magic boundary (or point of no return!!!) of steep learning curve of BIM compared to CAD.

Walls, slabs, columns, beams and I forgot to mention, Zones are "dumb", library objects are "smarter" than walls!!!!! I find that ridiculous, remember those three things EASY POLISHED POWERFUL. That is why, I totally agree with Ben NO MORE HALF NOW HALF IN NEXT VERSION!!!
~/archiben wrote:

and say hi to your forum admin for me . . .
~/archiben

PS. again thank you all for the welcome
1.jpg
Anonymous
Not applicable
attachment
Anonymous
Not applicable
you will find EACH of your wishes in previous polls in the forum. Multiple times. Unfortunately they did not make AC10.

I am 100% sure relationships wont be a part of archicad (not in the near future) unfortunately.

IF ONLY my gdl script could create ACTUAL EDITABLE walls, beams columns.... i would FORCE relationships myself.

Actually this is an old wish of mine. Let me include a general gdl script in every object just like i can attach a property script.
The i would create my own Wall-object that would create automatically a beam. Ofcourse to force relationship i would need control over wall operations... like strech, addpoints... etc.... so on second thought... that would require a real renovation of gdl....That wont happen in my lifetime span... so that brings us to square 1...

Sorry for thinking out loud.... .
I only wish i had a powerfull scripting langruage.. i would do most things i want by scripting.......
Rakela Raul
Participant
I am 100% sure relationships wont be a part of archicad (not in the near future) unfortunately.
dont be so sure !!
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
Rick Thompson
Expert
Material take offs have been a long standing topic for me. Directly associating materials with calculations would be a huge step forward, however it is still complicated and I think needs to be developed with the ability to adjust composite skins with a pet pallet. We need a simple way to attach data base descriptors. I think if this could be done directly in the composite dialogue via pull down menus for each skin, then it would simplify things a lot. (easy for me to say:) I am pasting something form the beta forum to make this point here...

>>>>
... For my use, I still would be served best with adjustable height skins within the composite structure. If I need cedar shingles on a wall up to the window sill, and siding above, this profile feature is no help (because I sell material list). If I could take the composite and make the adjustments with the skins, and right there, in that dialogue assign the property script.. or better data based components (etc).. that would work. Right now, it is difficult at best.

Another example is a roof composite. Now, to quantify accurately you have to split the overhangs from the roof over the structure in vaulted ceiling applications and assign 2 different property scripts. I have opted for less accuracy due to the pain that can be (lines in the surface fill in 3D, realigning fills.. etc). However, if you could adjust the skins somehow, then all would be simplified immensely. You can't show exposed rafter tails without a lot of work around. If we could place a roof, run the rafters within that roof, then adjust the skins and pull back to expose the rafters, imagine how nice that would be. If you have 5 skins - roofing, decking, air space, insulation and GWB - and at the overhang adjust back the bottom 3, you would actually model reality.. and quantify it... without all the work around, and necessary problems that come with the work around.

If we had control to split a skin after the composite is placed, then assign a different material as needed, take offs and modeling would be much easier, and in fact reflect real building assemblies. So, what good is the Profile for my practice... none really, unfortunally.

This does seem rather basic to me. I upgrade as the software evolves, but worry about new features that complicate my work day (migration), and a continued complete lack of attention to some fundamental modeling tools that are absolutely part of building a virtual building.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display