BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Beam Tool – section symbol

Gerald D Lock
Advocate
In addition to the current cut fill display, provide option for the beam tool to read as a symbolic cut:
X or / (continuous or blocking) in a similar way to columns.
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
9 REPLIES 9
Ralph Wessel
Mentor
Gerald wrote:
In addition to the current cut fill display, provide option for the beam tool to read as a symbolic cut:
X or / (continuous or blocking) in a similar way to columns.
There are objects with these properties bundled with OBJECTiVE - refer to the attached section for an example.
Ralph Wessel BArch
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
Thanks for the link. Looks like handy piece of kit. Just goes to show that this is all possible (and more!) with willful programming. So why are we being drip-fed such developments as align & distribute, another pretty fundamental tool of any CAD/design software.

I'm sure most users will agree though that stuff like being able to make a simple X symbol on a cut beam should be included in the AU$6000+ price of the base software, not have to pay another AU$350 for an add-on!
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
Stress Co_
Advisor
Here's a workaround..... (about the same as using 2D lines )
In your section, select "DET Lumber 12" with the "Object tool"

Has options for Blocking/Continuous /Finish
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Karl Ottenstein
You can also model the beam using a complex profile ... which is nothing more than a rectangle built up from four triangular fills. There would be no polygon penalty in the model, but you would get your 'X' in section.

(I voted to add the symbolic option to the tool though, as it is a pretty basic concept that should be supported more easily.)

Cheers,
Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Lets not forget about the X in plan for wood columns/posts; just as important. Yet I think Ralph (OBJECTIVE) will come up with it before GS even think about it!
Joseph
Stress Co_
Advisor
Joseph wrote:
Lets not forget about the X in plan for wood columns/posts; just as important.
Already there....
Picture 9.png
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
Polar Bear
Booster
Hello,
I see this post in 2009, has it been implemented?

Making a custom profile with four triangle to emulate the x of beams works as long as one doesn't cut in the transversale direction. In which case, too many lines are coming.

Any feed back would be welcome...

Thanks a lot!
Archicad 25 - 5010
Macbook pro 13" /Big sur 11.4 + External 4K 27"
DGSketcher
Legend
You could use the beam segmentation option and add two short fixed lengths with the triangles to the end of a simple rectangular beam?

Simpler option is to avoid cutting along the beam for your illustration, you will encounter a similar problem with walls using scale to fit hatching.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Barry Kelly
DGSketcher wrote:
You could use the beam segmentation option and add two short fixed lengths with the triangles to the end of a simple rectangular beam?

Except then you will not get the cross if you need to cut a section across the beam width in the middle.
I don't think there will ever be a 100% perfect solution to this.
You either have nothing and manually add a cross when you want one, or always have the cross and manually cover it up when you don't want it.

DGSketcher wrote:
Simpler option is to avoid cutting along the beam for your illustration.
I agree.
To show the stud framing you may want to use layers and turn the external cladding off.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!