Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Beam appearance in plan view

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a series of beams and rafters which are all modeled as beams. The rafter passes over the top of the beam. In plan view I cannot get the rafter to hide the portion of the beam over which it passes. Rafters and and beams are on separate layers with different layer priorities. I have tried different graphic overrides and display orders. The cut plane for the view is below the beams and rafters. I'm at a loss here. Maybe someone has a solution.
KrisM
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly
Unfortunately beams do not have a fill in plan, so they can not hide anything they are above.
There are probably a few wishes for this already, here is one ...

https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15891&p=288937&hilit=beam+fill#p288937

Believe me Graphisoft is well aware of this wish.
Just when it will be granted - who knows, but we keep asking.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Stress Co_
Advisor
Use a fill over the beam and VOTE.
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=15891&hilit=beam+cover+wish

EDIT:
Barry beat me to the punch.
Marc Corney, Architect
Red Canoe Architecture, P. A.

Mac OS 10.15.7 (Catalina) //// Mac OS 14.2.1 (Sonoma)
Processor: 3.6 GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9 //// Apple M2 Max
Memory: 48 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 //// 32 GB
Graphics: Radeon Pro 580X 8GB //// 12C CPU, 30C GPU
ArchiCAD 25 (5010 USA Full) //// ArchiCAD 27 (4030 USA Full)
KrisM wrote:
I have a series of beams and rafters which are all modeled as beams. The rafter passes over the top of the beam. In plan view I cannot get the rafter to hide the portion of the beam over which it passes. Rafters and and beams are on separate layers with different layer priorities. I have tried different graphic overrides and display orders. The cut plane for the view is below the beams and rafters. I'm at a loss here. Maybe someone has a solution.
KrisM
If you have access to the US library, all of the RoofMaker parts have fills, like Beam RM22, as does the Joist Beam 22 object, and there are a number of third-party beams with fills. (e.g. Cadimage Objective) Basically, you need to expand your thinking beyond the Beam tool and be willing to use Objects instead.
Richard
--------------------------
Richard Morrison, Architect-Interior Designer
AC26 (since AC6.0), Win10
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks to all for your suggestions. I have voted for fill in beams and have discovered the beam objects. Some of these objects are straightforward but others like the rafters with a birdsmouth have a particularly convoluted logic. This seems to be a Archicad thing where you are presented with a number of variables which do not respond to any logical order of entry. Still a great program though. Just sometimes a puzzle.
Barry Kelly
KrisM wrote:
This seems to be a Archicad thing where you are presented with a number of variables which do not respond to any logical order of entry.

Probably was logical to the person that created it.
Just not logical to the end users.
I have done that myself when creating objects.

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Okay, I figured out the beam (rafter) object this morning. Just couldn't get it yesterday. I come to Archicad from Revit who's logic made total sense to me. Learning Archicad is like learning another language (not a related one). Must be the different mindset between my Icelandic heritage and the Hungarian developers of Archicad.