Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Calculation formulas in schedules

Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I just wonder if we could extend functionality of schedules to make calculations much easier and more usable...
::rk
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Expression-defined Properties are available in ARCHICAD:

You can then schedule these Properties. Additionally, the value of these Properties can be displayed in Labels, used in Find & Select criteria, Graphic Override criteria and Collision Detection criteria. So this solution is more comprehensive than having to ability to do calculations/work with formulas in Schedule cells.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Rob wrote:
I just wonder if we could extend functionality of schedules to make calculations much easier and more usable...
And while we're at it, we should just have cells that we can type freely, without having to add parameters to EACH object / element. The should be recognizable as NUMBERS or TEXT for inclusion into those CALCUATIONS...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
And while we're at it, we should just have cells that we can type freely, without having to add parameters to EACH object / element. The should be recognizable as NUMBERS or TEXT for inclusion into those CALCUATIONS...
a very good idea, I would call those 'tags'. So we could tag each object with any number of element-specific tags that could be used in schedules etc...
::rk
Rob wrote:
a very good idea, I would call those 'tags'. So we could tag each object with any number of element-specific tags that could be used in schedules etc...
Actually Rob is talking more of basic spreadsheet functionality --text or numeric values (or formulas, which was the point of the thread) tied to the cell and not to the object or database value of any kind. You could do all of this in the Minicad pre-VectorWorks spreadsheets, which handled database formulas too, in 1995.
vfrontiers
Enthusiast
Ignacio wrote:
Actually Rob is talking more of basic spreadsheet functionality --text or numeric values (or formulas, which was the point of the thread) tied to the cell and not to the object or database value of any kind. You could do all of this in the Minicad pre-VectorWorks spreadsheets, which handled database formulas too, in 1995.
Yes! Exactly...
Duane

Visual Frontiers

AC25 :|: AC26 :|: AC27
:|: Enscape3.4:|:TwinMotion

DellXPS 4.7ghz i7:|: 8gb GPU 1070ti / Alienware M18 Laptop
Erich
Contributor
Ugh,

I spent the day fighting with the schedules to get them to work right. Now I wish I could vote essential....AGAIN
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erich wrote:
Ugh,

I spent the day fighting with the schedules to get them to work right. Now I wish I could vote essential....AGAIN
Voted for you as I don't have a need for it myself.
Erich
Contributor
Thanks S2art!
Erich

AC 19 6006 & AC 20
Mac OS 10.11.5
15" Retina MacBook Pro 2.6
27" iMac Retina 5K
gdford
Advisor
It would be very handy to have the ability to place calculation in schedules or to export the schedule to another internal to archicad spread-sheet type process that would let me work in a more spread sheet type environment. It is a shame that to get calculations on scheduled information done in a reasonable manner I have to export the schedule and then attach an external doc back to my project.
Gary Ford
Self Employed - Modeling, Estimating, Construction
Archicad 12-26
AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 12-Core Processor
3701 Mhz, 12 Core(s), 24 Logical Processor(s)
(RAM) 128 GB
NVIDIA RTX A2000
Anonymous
Not applicable
Absolutely!

There are numerous situation where an enhanced scheduling tool in ArchiCAD could eliminate the need to use a third party application such as Excel or Numbers. Once a third party application is used, the benefits of BIM are lost.

I could imagine a series of simple columns that can be added to a schedule scheme; such as one column for basic mathematical operations; +, -, * & /; one for = and then a third for the calculated total. (You know, just like Excel and Numbers!)

Also, the ability to add prefixes and suffixes to the Value cells. It could be FT, M, SF, etc.

While there is certainly a lot more features than can be added, it seems that Graphisoft needs to be encouraged in small, manageable segments.

Regards,

Joe A.
ArchiCAD User since 8.0