BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Calculation function documentation

Rick Thompson
Expert
This is not as much a wish as simple feedback to GS from stats I find interesting. The ability to understand the calc functionality, or lack there of, has been addressed many times, so I am not trying to re-addressing it now. While someone has recently made a book addressing this topic, and while it must be great, it is still not right for software costing this much to lack built-in instructions for the user that they can use. I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of "Tapping the Calculation Menu" by the great Duane Valencia which was not made for users, but dealers (or so I was told?) and have posted a link www.thompsonplans.com/files/TappingCalcMenu.pdf every now and then when someone post a question asking fro help. The file is on my web site, so i can check the downloads, which I just did and it is interesting to me, and surprising.

Over just this past year it was downloaded 1116 times, averaging nearly 100 request per month or 3 times a day. The low months are around 50 per month, and peaking at 261.. obviously a month I posted it.

That says there is a lot of people trying to figure this thing out... and can't.

So, my wish, once again, is for a calc function that is intuitive (ie.. direct linking the data base to composites and objects), and documented. I don't mind providing the link since I know how it was stumbling in the dark trying to figure it out, but people should send Duane a nickel or two for his effort, which as helpful as it is, merely attempts to explain a poor system.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
2 REPLIES 2
Gerald Hoffman
Booster
HEAR! HEAR! As a long time user of ArchiCAD I am still not using the Calculate function ( which is always advertised by GS and which people who don't know better would assume is easy to use ), because I lack what I know will be significant time to master the the degree necessary to not either get me into trouble with inaccurate quantities or make me look foolish which probably wouldn't be that difficult.

I vote Essential ( twice if I could )
Gerald
"The simplification of anything is always sensational" GKC
AC 25-4013 USA, CadImage Tools
2019 MacBook Pro 16" w/ AMD Radeon Pro 5600M GPU
OS X 11.6
2.4 Ghz 8 core i9, 64 GB RAM
27" LG 5K Monitor
Laura Yanoviak
Advocate
Gerald wrote:
I vote Essential ( twice if I could )
I voted Essential for you. As it currently exists, it really requires a full-time staff position to master the calculation functions (to get any real functionality out of it on a regular basis).
MacBook Pro Apple M2 Max, 96 GB of RAM
AC26 US (5002) on Mac OS Ventura 13.5
Learn and get certified!