BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Casement Window Swings to show on Floorplans

Anonymous
Not applicable
I REALLY need to show the swing of my casement windows on my floorplans for my framer. It's much easier to communicate the swing via the floorplan versus the elevation because that is where my framers focus most of their attention. In other words, I want my casement windows to show swings like my doors do.

Currently I am manually drawing this in, but this subverts the whole logic of Archicad because It opens the door for transposition errors.

I would much prefer to have a check box in the 2d settings window to show the swing like I can do for 3d, so the swing will be in the window itself versus manually doing after placing the window.

Anyone else out there agree?

Would this really be that hard to do?
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
For those of you who think this is not important, I have to ask what type of architecture you do? Do you ever oversee the actual construction?

I am a homebuilder that draws my own plans so I have a unique perspective because I have first hand knowledge of how the actual laborers will read the plans and the kind of miscommunications that occur when things are not clear and in the language and flow of the person actually doing the work.

A set of plans is nothing more than a message. If the message is unclear, misunderstood or misinterpreted, its worthless or at the very least expensive and time-consuming to clarify and correct.

I just can't see why this would be such a difficult addition to the existing windows when the doors already seem so similar.

Am I missing something?
Anonymous
Not applicable
Agree, it's important to have swings for windows too, to decrease time on doing same work manually.
vincon2 wrote:
I just can't see why this would be such a difficult addition to the existing windows when the doors already seem so similar.
Yes & not!

Not difficult for std. windows (non-universal gdl objects). When you have very large catalog of gdl windows for each model type.

But if you want to decrease number of gdl objects (to make more flexible Parametric object) and create universal gdl windows for different types, in this case the script will be very complex. And also there will be work to write the script in way that will allow easy-use of that universal gdl object. The best easy use method will be - to modify object in 3D window (just choose each cell(sash) of window and set opening direction).
Tom Krowka
Booster
I agree that we need to show. I have just completed a plan with approx 70 casement windows that had to show the swing. The reply above works with 3D, but not 2d, which would seem simpler.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
... and how would you show awning (top hung), hopper (bottom hung opening in) or vertical sliding sashes? Still got to look at the elevations, or do a window schedule.
Tom Krowka
Booster
don't have to show awnings. by definition it's hinged at the top. same with hopper, at the bottom. same with double hung, or single hung. but the casement has a choice. You could show it on the schedule, but then the highly intelligent framers will get it confused......it is hinged on the right from outside, or inside. a picture is worth a thousand specs.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Why Wouldn't this work?
Tom Krowka
Booster
That does work. How did you manage to get that on 2D. Did you do it through window parameters?
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, I wish I had an ingenious answer for you and could tell this great GDL script I wrote, but I cant.

I merely drew it on the 2D to illustrate how the swings would look if they added this functionality t o the window setings. I haven't learned GDL beyond very basic tasks.

Thinking upon it further, it really wouldn't be necessary to show the upper units swing because its always going to swing out and up or the same direction of the casement below.
Anonymous
Not applicable
vincon2 wrote:
Thinking upon it further, it really wouldn't be necessary to show the upper units swing because its always going to swing out and up or the same direction of the casement below.
But if you didn't show the upper unit you wouldn't know it was there would you? It could be a simple casement only.
My point is you still have to have an elevation of the window to show different fenestrations. Imagine if the upper unit was actually below the casement sash (popular in schools) or you have louvres in one section, or the head of the window was arched. You still need an elevation.

Not to mention the fact that plans would be a hell of a mess.

Not trying to stir, just trying to think around the whole problem.
Learn and get certified!

Still looking?

Browse more topics

Back to forum

See latest solutions

Accepted solutions

Start a new discussion!