BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Central storage and management of GDL value lists

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Here is a wish which I think would be really great if implemented.
Many GDL objects have value lists.
This topic is about how to extend the default value list of Flooring Types available in Zone Stamps:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=69713&p=310458#p310458
This other topic is about the default value list of Fire Rating values available in Doors:
https://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=71264

So my wish is:

Let us have a central repository for all value lists that are used by GDL Objects (maybe in a folder within the embedded Library), plus an interface to open any of the values lists and edit/add the list of available values. GDL objects using these values then will always use the most up-to-date list of values. This way, these values list will not be buried somewhere deep in GDL but would be accessible for modification, which is desirable because no default GDL value list will ever be suitable for the whole Archicad users community.

There are many of these potential value lists:
-Zone names
-Flooring/Covering types
-Fire ratings
-Acoustic ratings
-Standard Door/Window/Skylight size combinations (e. g. 90x150, 150x150 etc.)
-Standard Steel Profile sizes
-Standard MEP element sizes
-Standard Kitchen cabinet sizes

Currently, if the list of default values is not good enough one has to have good GDL scripting skills to be able to modify them. This would greatly enhance the usability of these GDL Objects.

Additionally, the use of these value lists could be optional. For example, in the case of Doors/Windows, you could have a checkbox using which you could either restrict sizes to be selected from the value list or use "custom" and set any value you want.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
10 REPLIES 10
My suggestion was not so much a suggestion about functionality. Instead I was looking to re-draft the wish to make Properties from the property manager a stronger part of the Wish itself.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Learn and get certified!