BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Cleaner GUI - Modal

Anonymous
Not applicable
I would wish for a cleaner user interface with tools presented and divided according to project mode - like Revit. Archicad has suffered icon clutter over the past twenty years. Its time to reorganize, simplify, and group them.

A cleaner interface makes one feel less overwhelmed. Still Revit could use a little softening of its GUI and icons - to make it more fun.

'Less is More'

Stan
11 REPLIES 11
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
What do you mean by cleaner, or project mode? There have been some lengthy and detailed discussions on GUI design and if anything they point out how subjective a subject this is. We all want an improved interface. This wish is simply too broad and undefined to warrant a vote. It's like asking people to vote for nice weather.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
David Collins
Advocate
I don't think a wish to reduce ArchiCad's creeping screen clutter is too broad for discussion. Milages vary, but whenever I do a new-and-reset, or load a sample project or open ArchiCAD after installing a patch, I'm always amazed at the amount of stuff that always gets dumped onto the screen. People actually work like this? The fact that lots of users are working with dual monitors says a lot about this problem.

With apologies if this is too tedious, here's what I do:
* Turn off the Status Bar: this is marginal information taking up valuable real estate
* Turn off the Tool Bar: I know lots of folks are enchanted by the idea of having a buzillion customizable icons stretching across the screen, but I much prefer the keyboard hotkeys for anything important
* Maximize the 2D window: the current story appears in the main title bar
* Put both the navigator and the Navigator preview on hotkeys and keep them switched off and on call. These things are huge.
* Stretch the Info Box horizontally all the way across the top of the screen, one row deep only and configured for critical settings only to show on that row. Its great that this can be pulled down as needed to show more stuff, but the idea is to limit its presence as much as possible.
* Tool box configured vertically and placed all the way to the left.
* Coordinates and Control boxes sit side by side at the bottom of the screen in one horizontal row, just above the window controls for scale, zoom, extents etc.

All this gives me maximum drawing space with minimal menu clutter, which is the point of the wish, i think. I'm grateful to Graphisoft for making the interface as customizable as it is, but I'd love to see this taken much further.

I also really appreciate the new 8.1 command for full size screen with no menus, particularly in 3d with OpenGL. Even so, I have to complain that the 3d navigation menu is way too big. It would be nice if it were long and skinny and could sit unobtrusively at the bottom of the screen.

The monitor screen should be like a window looking into the virtual world. You don't want a lot of decals and bumper stickers and post-it notes blocking the view.
David Collins

Win10 64bit Intel i7 6700 3.40 Ghz, 32 Gb RAM, GeForce RTX 3070
AC 27.0 (4001 INT FULL)
Anonymous
Not applicable
"Geoff Briggs" wrote:
What do you mean by cleaner, or project mode?

I mean - how in Revit you click a button for design, modelling, documentaion etc. and the relevent icons slide up. There are probably even better ways to do this than Revit. It does keep everything organized and helps new users learn the program quicker.

I think simple is better and will affect ones well being. Look at the beautifully simple GUI like iTunes or the patented navigation of the iPod. Other companies think 'more is more' and load up the icons and don't really think about the beauty of the interface.

Graphisoft probably doesn't care to change the interface because veteran users are comfortable with it and have not considered how much better it could be. As an ADT user I have grown used to the cluttered interface and know how to get work done by learning the workarounds. I still know it could be better and am going to be picky before I spend 4k on software.

So, I think it is worth a vote. Just to say to Graphisoft - ' We want a better GUI - I don't care what you do or how but just do it. Apply the same innovative thinking you did 20 years ago when you first conceived the BIM concept. Currently everything is so twentieth century!

Will they listen?
Eduardo Rolon
About veteran users they probably use more keyboard shortcuts when they work rather than looking for the relevant icon. IMO I agree that the GUI can always be improved/simplified but as users get more proficient hopefully they start to use more shortcuts and less relevant is the GUI, and the keyboard shortcuts become more important.
AS an example I mosly use Photoshop without toolbars, in Autocad I created lots of shortcuts for different options (LIP=line from int to per, etc). So veteran users should not be considered an obstacle to redefine the GUI IMHO.
Eduardo Rolón AIA NCARB
AC27 US/INT -> AC08

Macbook Pro M1 Max 64GB ram, OS X 10.XX latest
another Moderator

Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Don't get me wrong, I'm in agreement that GUI improvements are needed. I just think that we need to be specific about what we want. If I’m voting on whether I want AC to look like Revit I vote no, if I’m voting on whether I want AC to look like Photoshop I vote yes. A broad, unspecified wish might garner widespread approval but in the end it will be hard for Graphisoft to gauge which suggestions people really support.

For myself I don’t have a big problem with the basic interface items: Tool palette, Info Box, Navigator, Coordinates, Control. My main wish is that all paletts and windows snap together and remember their position. Some of the other palettes and dialog boxes need more work. Interactive Schedule Preview is a case in point. It needs to become a palette that offers real-time feedback like the Info Box does. The same goes for just about every dialog box—3D Projection Settings, 3D Window Settings, Display Options...they should all have an Apply button along with OK (Apply & Close) and/or they could incorporate the push pin function of the Navigator. Trial and error dialog boxes should be replaced by interactive palettes.
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
How ever the the GUI-Modal is tweaked I hope it will not reduce my work space on the screen. I didn't like working with ADT because by the time I had enough toolbars open to work with, I didn't have much viewing space left. 2004 is worse, and Revit is no better.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Archimac wrote:
Will they listen?
I am sure they will listen to wishes as they did in the past. Several people at GS Development are informed about issues on this list, several of them read it, so your wishes DO NOT go unnoticed.
Laszlo
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks Laszlo,

It will be a great day for architecture and the neglected Mac Cad if Archicad is revolutionized and cutting edge!

Don't have the attitude of GM in the USA which creates so many cars and adds so many features but the design and attention to detail is lacking. They are not focused and unique among the various divisions with just a few cosmetic changes. But look at Mercedes, BMW, VW and Lexus. I would say that GM did agressively seek to turn around the image and real design quality of Cadillac. It now has a new image in the US.

I think Archicad could have a more cuttng edge image than even Revit!
Get the passion guys!
Geof Gainer
Booster
Sounds to me like more user customizability is part of the solution.

Toward the end of intimidating new users less, I'd recommend to the designers Edward Tufte's book Envisioning Information -- a work of art itself, and the authority on packing lots of information into the cleanest, simplest appearance.
AC fan since v 7. Currently on AC 26 Build 5003 USA FULL Apple Silicon,. 2022 Mac Studio, 32G ram. OS X 12.6.2
Learn and get certified!