Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Clone Folders with selected or limited storeys (particularly for iceberg hotlink projects)

J_Tucks
Booster

Clone Folders are great and can be time saving when setting up multiple types of plan views in multi-storey buildings. However, I seldom use them for plan views these days due to an increased amount of negative hotlink stories using the iceberg method. I might have a complex project with 4 building stories, but 30+ negative hotline stories.

It would be great to specify a set or limited number of stories to create clones of, similar to what is available in the 'filter and cut 3D elements' tool for perspective views. Clone folders could only be created for stories 0-10, or 0+. That way we get clone folders of the relevant floor plans, ceiling plans, set out plans, etc, without the miscellaneous hotlink stories.

ARCHICAD 25 - Mac OS Monterey - MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16gb DDR3
12 REPLIES 12
Barry Kelly

Clones are not just for storeys.

They are also for sections, elevations, details, worksheets, etc.

Those can't be limited by a storey range (I understand what you are trying to do).

That is why we have clone folders.

They are an exact representation of what ever is in the original view point folder.

Add a new view point, and one will be added to the cloned folder as well.

If you don't want all of the view points automatically, then unfortunately you have to manually control the content of the view map folders.

Sure with storeys, you could filter by storey range.

But what about sections, elevations and details?

And then you have different rules for different clone folders.

But thinking about it some more as I type, if we could have a small check box next the view points in the Project Map, to say 'include in clone folders'.

Then we could uncheck the ones we don't want to include.

Not quite a range for storeys as you want, but it would work for all of the view points and not just stories.

So I will like your post as I do like the idea.

It just needs to work for all view points.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

@Barry Kelly The sections and elevations themselves can be set to a storey range so the views from those can have the stories limited by the setting of the actual section the view is taken from. Being able to only clone certain storeys would be great.

Lee Hankins
ArchiCAD 4.5 - Archicad 27UKI Apple Silicon 27.1.1
macOS Sonoma (14.2)

@Lee Hankins wrote:

The sections and elevations themselves can be set to a storey range so the views from those can have the stories limited by the setting of the actual section the view is taken from.

Sure, limiting the storeys seen in the views is possible.

The original poster was talking about the views in the cloned folders.

If you have 4 real sections (or elevations) but you also have half a dozen or so extra sections just so you can see what is happening in the model (so not for production drawings), then these will also appear in you cloned folder - which you don't really want to happen.

So similar to extra storeys for modules, some (or at least I do) use dummy sections and elevations to see what is going on in the model.

And instead of deleting and recreating them when I need them, I just ignore them.

The ability to not include them in the cloned folders would be great.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Tinou
Enthusiast

May be create some categories of storeys, sections and elevations :

For the example gaved here is needed 2 categories but why not a possibility of custom categories : A, B, C D, etc...

Then, while making clone, user will chose which category needs to be cloned.

This structure wil be even usefull for managing project with several buildings having different levels or different orientations, etc.

For example, Building A will have it's own storeys, sections, elevations, (may be limited to his immediate environement). The same for Building B. Then a category C could include some "working" sections that never go to presentation, etc. User could create clone of "A" storeys, "A" sections, etc. He could even create a "working" clone of "C" sections for cheking them with the apropriate options, event if they don't go to presentation.

It will be necessary to keep the possibility of clone several or all the categories. The "A+B" clone could be logical for some situations...

All these settings should be managed by the user corresponding to his specific needs. If someone wants, he will have just 1 category and work it the nowadays simple way. if the project needs it, he will make more categories.

Shure I would love having these possibilities !

Étienne - AC 24 - France
J_Tucks
Booster

I understand we can already deal with iceberg issues on elevations and section with the Vertical Range, but its definitely the Storey views where the clones bloat and become impractical.

@Barry Kelly   I like you idea of a tick box to select which view points are included in the clone folder. However this would function much better as a setting of the clone folder itself under the project map, in lieu being part of the view map. Would be great if dialogue was openable where you could tick or untick stories as you need (or particular sections/details as you mentioned above).

That way for floor or ceiling plans you could tick all of the stories in your project. But for detailed plans you may only want a few select stories where there are particular rooms to be detailed. Would love this feature and the cleanliness it would provide users.

This would work for @Tinou's situation too where you could simple create Clone A, Clone B and Clone C folders and ticker the relevant views to be included in each.

ARCHICAD 25 - Mac OS Monterey - MacBook Pro 2.3Ghz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 16gb DDR3
DGSketcher
Legend

I have said it before, but the source of the problem goes back to the Project Map. The easy solution is to create sub-folders in the Project Map and allow Navigator to use the sub-folders as a clone reference to control the displayed list in the View Map. Simples. It. shouldn't be difficult to implement, it's just GS seem to have a blinkered view on cascading data structures.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin

Yet another possibility would be to have the ability to specify criteria when Cloning Folders, so for example, the criteria would state that only Stories that do not contain some specific text in their name should be included in the Cloned Folder.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27

Good suggestion, but where & how would it be managed? How many users would benefit from such a feature? Personally I think sub-folders are familiar to all computer users and linking to them would be a lot simpler for everybody. The fact we only have one clone-able folder for the likes of sections, worksheets, 3D Documents etc just screams out the need for sub folders on the basis of division by presentation scale as one simple example. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Yes, I agree, implementing subfolders in the Project Map would probably be the fastest good-enough solution. I will forward the wish to GS HQ (just like I usually forward all other Wishes 🙂 ) and they will decide what to do about it.

Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27