BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Column Tool Improvements

Anonymous
Not applicable
The column tool in its present form is fundamentally flawed and in serious need of improvement. (See: http://www.graphisoft.com/community/archicad-talk/viewtopic.php?t=1382 for my full diatribe.)

This wish is in two parts: the basic, must have as soon as possible, core function improvement; and the perhaps longer term, wouldn't it be great if..., broad enhancement (which leads me to think of some even larger more ambitious wishes).

THE BASIC IMPROVEMENTS

Poly-Column

In addition to the basic circular and rectangular forms the column tool should include a polygonal form like the wall tool. This will function similarly to the poly-wall except that it enables the use of core and skin(s) in a non-linear form. Presently I use a simple column or poly-wall wrapped by single or composite walls (with the occasional steel "H" section library part). While I don't find these work arounds to be too troublesome (and in some cases they are not workarounds at all but best practices) it would be nice to have this ability, and I am sure for some firm's practices this feature would bore than a mere convenience.

Proper 3D Modeling

Presently the column is slotted through its full height by an intersecting wall. This is rarely appropriate and often produces ridiculous results in 3D, including columns that disappear entirely because their base is embedded in a low wall. It seems that this can be easily fixed now by applying the SEO algorithms automatically in intersections between walls and columns. The column settings should also include a choice as to whether the wall is subtracted from the column or the column from the wall.

THE DREAM

Allow the column to be defined by a custom GDL script. This would allow the column tool to actually represent the vast majority of columns that have been (and continue to be) used throughout history such as classical orders, egyptian and minoan forms, cast-in-place concrete, and all kinds of steel sections.

Just as doors and windows have forever, a column type library part will respond to the presence of intersecting walls automatically.

Wall intersections in plan will be accomplished by proper scripting with global parameters and special functions - some of which are automatic.

Wall intersections in the model will be automatic using solid element operations by detecting and responding to the intersecting wall(s).

(More to come...? I am running out of battery power.)

IN CONCLUSION

These improvements would utimately allow any type of column to be represented accurately and automatically in plan, section and 3D without having to cobble together an odd assortment of poly-walls, composites, columns and library parts to properly represent this fundamental architectural element.
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I suppose you were about to add:

ability to set , lets say "column horizontal section hight" that will create adequate floor plan symbol. (This is important for future improved inclined columns).
gpowless
Advocate
In the column skin, I would be interested in seeing the tool modified to produce parametic plates, reveals, trims and panels, as well.
Intel i7-6700@3.4GHz 16g
GeForce GTX 745 4g HP Pavilion 25xw
Windows 10 Archicad 26 USA Full
Anonymous
Not applicable
gpowless wrote:
In the column skin, I would be interested in seeing the tool modified to produce parametic plates, reveals, trims and panels, as well.
This would of course become possible with the ability to create library parts as a column sub-type as I described. This would not only allow bases and capitals for classical orders but also flanges (bolted or welded) on steel columns and pretty much anything else you can imagine.
Anonymous
Not applicable
TRIBU wrote:
I suppose you were about to add:

ability to set , lets say "column horizontal section hight" that will create adequate floor plan symbol. (This is important for future improved inclined columns).
I believe columns are by definition vertical, but it would also be desireable to expand the function of the tool to include buttresses and braces; especially with increasing concern worldwide for earthquake and wind protection.

And yes, you are right, I think the horizntal section height is critical for these non-vertical elements. I would also add that this cut height would be relative to the current story not the home story of the element when it is more than one story tall. I worked on a project that required sheer legs that had to be visible on four stories with cuts and fills that changed accordingly so I am very aware of the need for these capabilties.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a very nice need. I need to be able to create columns out of walls!
I imagine, taking the Wall Tool and drawing my super wall with the help of all these goodies, that are already available for this tool.Then making my selection and by having a choice in my Tools/Modify Wall/ section to convert the walls into columns. That will be a good compensation for the poor column tool as it will In my opinion become obsoletein the future, if GraphiGuys are to treat it in this way... Just teasing Guys keep up the good work. Amazing software but it has to be much more flexible... hurry up!!
Learn and get certified!