Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Complex Profile Materials

Bruce
Expert
It would be handy to have the ability to override the 'master' material definition for a complex profile in the model.

An example is when you want multiple instances of the same profile to have different materials.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
6 REPLIES 6
owen
Newcomer
agreed ...

implementation would be tricky though as to do this properly would really require some sort of dynamic UI generated from the profile which enabled you to select each of the profiles materials and change them. Potentially quite difficult given what you can draw as a profile!

You would basically need a dialog within each relevant tool which shows the loaded profile hatched according to material elements (for example) each of which can be clicked, generating a material dialog to change its material.

or something like that

given the current ArchiCAD UI this is not a very encouraging thought is it?
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I do not know very much about the UI, but may be it could be possible to have profiles without any attached material, and then assign them materials at the time of putting them into the model.
Bruce
Expert
Maybe a fully detailed system could be developed later. I was thinking for starters simply have a check box that says "Use Complex Profile Materials" - similar to how you can override object materials under the "Model" tab.

Then the whole profile would use the default wall/beam/column material.

This, to me, would suffice for what I've found I need to do.
Bruce Walker
www.brucepwalker.com
Barking Dog BIM YouTube
Mindmeister Mindmap
-- since v8.1 --
AC26 5002 INT Full | Windows 11 64 Pro | 12th Gen Intel i7-12700H 2.30 GHz | 64 Gb RAM | NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3060 32 Gb
Anonymous
Not applicable
There is an existing wish for this here -

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=21186

Another related wish is here -

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=134015
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
Haha. classic. Greta minds DO think alike! I just posted an almost identical wish yesterday, and have been re-directed here. Consider my vote cast:
Graphisoft NOTE ---> (!!ESSENTIAL!!) <---

@Bruce Walker: the circular inter-connected nature of reality is amusing sometimes. I'm listening to Yello "The Race" right at this moment (I see you have the album cover as your profile pic!)
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia
Gerald D Lock
Advocate
Graphisoft R&D team:

please note this was originally posted in
http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=36789

but then I realised it should be here in "Wishes" - please refer to the poll results there when assessing priority for implementation.

Thanks.

PS. This is an ESSENTIAL and OVERDUE feature that has been consistently overlooked since 2008 (that is the earliest request I can locate on this forum)
ArchiCAD 24 (build 5004)

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) Apple M1 Pro 32GB RAM | MacOS 12.0.1

Melbourne, Australia