Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Composite Walls in AC10

Anonymous
Not applicable
Why? why? why? do the "composite" walls created using the wall tool appear solid in 3D?

It just doesn't make sense. The composite wall looks great in plan, section and is the best way of using the calculate database to drop out quantities.

However, our client insists that the full composite is shown to highight construction issues. As a result construction is slow, window/door openings take ages to create that need special consideration and don't ask about making changes to these walls!

All I ask is for the composite to be shown in 3D! If the option was available to specify the material in the wall settings box or in the composite fills options it would make ArchiCAD about 10 times better for detailed modelling.

This really is a massive must have as I believe it appears in software from out competitors.

Regards
8 REPLIES 8
TomWaltz
Participant
If I read this correctly, you want to see the composite fills in the 3D window?

I could even live with only seeing them with Internal Engine (more consistant with seeing fills on internal engine and not OpenGL).

(don't forget to vote for your own wish!!)
Tom Waltz
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Tom,

That's right, thanks for replying to the topic.

When I cut through a "composite" wall using the marquee I would like to see the individual wall make up including any air space within the composite. At present all I see is a solid fill.

The said client has demanded to see a full wall build up, which has resulted in deleting the single composite made using the wall tool and replacing with three separate walls; one for brick, one for block; one for insulation.

I understand that we can make special details to show this, but I would rather see the whole wall modelled correctly, using a tool especially for creating this.
__archiben
Booster
Ian wrote:
When I cut through a "composite" wall using the marquee I would like to see the individual wall make up including any air space within the composite. At present all I see is a solid fill.
what you're after - and this is a long-standing wish i have too - is true material-driven attributes. you set up and manage materials along with how they're represented in all views - plan, section, cut, uncut, 3D window, rendering, schedules, etc, etc . . .

then, when building assemblies from those material definitions, you will build what they build - solids, cavities, the works . . .

having just read the 'revit 9' brochure recently, i did notice that this seems to part of the core logic of revit's operations . . . how far this has been implemented i don't know.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Karl Ottenstein
I would be happy enough with a quick fix that simply retains the 2.5D nature of composites and shows the composite fill in cut 3D models (internal engine, vectorial hatching enabled, etc.) Longer term more powerful solutions are needed, too, but we must be able to show 3D versions of the model that look right.

Essential IMHO.

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Ian

Also needed is the ability to set the levels of the components of the composites.

EG
At present the project that I am working on has a lot of retaining walls, therefor the base level of the internal block needs to be set to the ground bearing slab and the external brick needs to start at the top of the retaining wall, similar issue at the head of the composite wall, the internal block finishes at the soffit of the beam and the external brick goes past.

The above and other issues that Ian has highlighted and many other fustrated users of AC are not wishes but are a must for composites and to enable AC users to keep ahead.

PS
I cannot understand that we can use wall extras for internal walls and have it automatically produce timber studwork, yet for external walls all we have is a mass black zone.
Karl Ottenstein
Graham wrote:
At present the project that I am working on has a lot of retaining walls, therefor the base level of the internal block needs to be set to the ground bearing slab and the external brick needs to start at the top of the retaining wall, similar issue at the head of the composite wall, the internal block finishes at the soffit of the beam and the external brick goes past.
I won't disagree with your wish. But, at least solid element subtraction provides a very usable workaround for the above. (Live, editable skins would be better of course!)

But, there is no workaround to make skins visible in 3D... they just are not there. 😞

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
I voted essential for this. Although this feature has been addressed with complex profile walls, using those brings a bunch of different problems. Also this goes back to having a uniformity of the archicad tools. We need to have walls that behave the same regardless of if they are simple fills, composites, or complex profiles.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Agree!
This is a must have for next version!