Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Composite adjustable thickness

Vasileios S_
Advocate

Hello everybody,

Can we have adjustable thickness to a composite?

For example, I want to have a composite of "concrete-insulation-stone", instead of:

150concrete-100insulation-50stone

150concrete-50insulation-50stone

150concrete-100insulation-100stone

150concrete-50insulation-100stone etc...

I believe this is crucial.

Vassilis

You cannot build a line.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear All,

Thank you very much for the discussion about this wish. We really appreciate the time you have taken into this, and I'm sure that it will provide us with valuable information in the future.

I'm happy to announce that the wish has been entered into our Wish List database (please refer to it as DEF-4360). I hope that our Product Management will consider implementing it into our future product.

Thank you all once again, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

View solution in original post

43 REPLIES 43

You can accomplish this with custom profiles.

Vasileios S_
Advocate

Custom profiles are a different thing. For example, when creating a slab, you cannot have a custom profile, since it would only work in a rectangular slab of specific dimensions.

I've seen this wish a couple of years ago, but I cannot find it again, thus I created this topic.

You cannot build a line.

That makes sense, I dont use composite slabs, just assumed you meant walls. Sorry

DGSketcher
Legend

I'm sitting on the fence with this. Yes it could be achieved by allowing stretch planes for each skin or even localised override/editing of skin widths, BUT, I also like to know when I use a particular composite for a wall type or a slab etc that the skins are effectively hard coded so I don't find I have shown 105mm of concrete when it should be 100mm, due to copying attributes or accidental stretching. It is also a lot easier to update drawings when you change a composite as all the elements that use it should change to the latest values. How do you decide when a composite is changed whether an edited skin is updated or retains it's changed width?

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

Is what you want to do adding Profile Modifiers so you can adjust the widths of the skins for a wall in 3d or section ?    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3Z3JIgIUoM   

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25

I guess you can achieve what you mean by Complex Profile Beam and divide it into segments, watch this:

https://youtu.be/ZLgcDBo4yo8

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

My answer to the points you mention are these:

1. Accidental stretching

It's the same as the profiles. If you accidentally stretch a modifier in a column profile (not width or height), how do you know it?

2. Copying attributes

When applying a composite "A" to a wall that doesn't already use it, it should get its default thicknesses. When applying the composite "A" to many walls and one of these walls already uses it and has set different thicknesses, you should get a warning "Apply changes to custom thicknesses too". Just like when you have a slab with a custom edge material and change the edge surface. You get a red triangle with a checkbox.

3. Altering composite

When altering a composite that has materials A-B-C and change the thickness of A, you should also get this warning if some element has a different A thickness than the default.

You cannot build a line.

No. In your video, this method works for skin heights. I want to change the thicknesses of it. I know I can add more modifiers to a profile, but profiles do not work with slabs or roofs, because they are not a "lenghty" constuction element that has a specific profile.

When designing a slab, you can have a plan view that's not rectangular (as in most of the cases) and apply a composite like this "Concrete-subfloor-floor". When you use 3 different thicknesses for concrete, 2 for subfloor and 5 for floors, that's a total of 30 different composites. I think we should have all of these in one.

You cannot build a line.

This is not the case Mr. Qenawi. Read the reply I gave to Mr. Jepson.

You cannot build a line.