Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Composite adjustable thickness

Vasileios S_
Advocate

Hello everybody,

Can we have adjustable thickness to a composite?

For example, I want to have a composite of "concrete-insulation-stone", instead of:

150concrete-100insulation-50stone

150concrete-50insulation-50stone

150concrete-100insulation-100stone

150concrete-50insulation-100stone etc...

I believe this is crucial.

Vassilis

You cannot build a line.
43 REPLIES 43

To be fair, you have answered your own problem. You don't really need 30 composites, you just need to break the floor into relevant elements, which you may want to do for quantities anyway. So in your case you only need 10 composites or less. If a skin of your build up is a single material (not composite) e.g. concrete, then it is stretchy by default. The more you bind layers together the more you will end up with junction / connection problems with other elements.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

So the answer to this is that I should not use composites? That's a no! Imagine have a roof with a composite of 5 materials. If you change the pitch, all change automatically. If there are 5 seperate roofs, then apart from the pitch, you should manually change each one's height. No! Totally no!

You cannot build a line.

I got your idea it’s a mix of complex and composite slab profile so you make only one slab profile and adjust its components heights separately in the model view, Right? If yes you can push it to the wishes forum so we may find it in Archicad someday.

AC 27 INT 5003 - AC 26 INT 6019 ( For MEP Purposes )
AMD Ryzen 7 5800H with Radeon Graphics 3.20 GHz 16.0 GB

That's true. A slab will have adjustable component heights and a wall will have adjustable component widths.

How can I push it to the wishes? I though I was already there.

You cannot build a line.

Yes you should use composites. If you change the roof pitch then the composite build up simply rotates and maintains the same thickness. Why would you need to change each one's height, is that what happens on site?

Sorry, just trying to help.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

I am sorry if I did not express it correctly. I thought you said that the solution is to NOT use composites but single materials. And I answered that this is a total NO because it would bring those problems (i.e. the roof problem).

I'll show you what I mean. Look at this image:

different_composites.jpg

Instead of having 6 different composites for my concrete-insulation types, can we have just one? It would be super-easier to work with.

You cannot build a line.

Well I kind of did say don't use a composite, depending on your work flow. A single material is stretchy. In my world I would potentially place the concrete on a layer for structure and the insulation on a layer for finishes. In other situations I would just create the six floor types which is quick & easy and then I know if I reference a Type 3 floor it has 200 of concrete and 100 insulation. Sometimes it isn't just about modelling, you also need to consider documenting in details, specifications and schedules. Reference to a Type is easy, consistent and simple to maintain, having to reference / check multiple drawings for thicknesses & labelling can be a pain and error prone once localised edits are introduced on anything other than a small project. This is why I said I was sitting on the fence originally. 

I think there is some merit to the wish but I'm not really sure exactly what the wish is and I think it has to be clarified if it is to be considered by GS.

There is quite a difference between 

• Being able to have a composite type (eg. concrete | insulation) and then easily (perhaps graphically) defined and change between sub types with different thicknesses. 

and

• Being able to for an individual element with composite structure set different thicknesses in 2D or even 3D.

Hello thesleepofreason,

I'm talking about the first bullet of yours. That's the wish.

I did not catch what you're saying in the second bullet though.

You cannot build a line.