Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Composite adjustable thickness

Vasileios S_
Advocate

Hello everybody,

Can we have adjustable thickness to a composite?

For example, I want to have a composite of "concrete-insulation-stone", instead of:

150concrete-100insulation-50stone

150concrete-50insulation-50stone

150concrete-100insulation-100stone

150concrete-50insulation-100stone etc...

I believe this is crucial.

Vassilis

You cannot build a line.
43 REPLIES 43

I agree to both of you @thesleepofreason and @DGSketcher. This may have pros and cons. I do not use listing-indexing elements in my workflow, unfortunately, since architects in my county are faaaar away from using BIM. I solely design and produce drawings. This is a model issue from me. I believe there should be an indexing solution to this as well, as @thesleepofreason said.

You cannot build a line.
Solution
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni

Dear All,

Thank you very much for the discussion about this wish. We really appreciate the time you have taken into this, and I'm sure that it will provide us with valuable information in the future.

I'm happy to announce that the wish has been entered into our Wish List database (please refer to it as DEF-4360). I hope that our Product Management will consider implementing it into our future product.

Thank you all once again, and have a great day!

Best regards,

Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Actually, the reality is the opposite of what you describe. Using composites for constructions that use more than a single layer, variable thicknesses or not, is the recommended way of ensuring junctions are resolved. Otherwise the model gets confused where reference lines of 'skins' overlap.

In fact, for Energy Evaluation workflow, the calculation model depends on each thermal zone having only one wall/slab/roof at its boundary, and not layers and layers that it will never recognise as a single composite construction.

The best way is to allow a little more flexibility in composites, which currently they lack. There are methods applicable to other parts of AC that would be used to prevent small errors or discrepancies in attributes.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.

Maybe there's a middle ground for this. You've established that having total freedom with composites on an element-by-element basis is messy and not good for documentation, etc. But there's also the issue of composite overload.

I imagine there needs to be a rework of the composites collection window, similar to the new Line Types but one step further for some basic grouping capabilities. I'd say the same needs to apply to things like Surfaces and Building Materials.

Nothing is true, everything is permitted.