BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Consistency across tools

Josh Verran
Expert
This is something that is not unique to Archicad.
It's inconsistency across tools.

For example, the slab tool has several options for "show on stories", where as a column has those same options, with the addition of "All relevant stories". It doesn't however have "custom", which is available to slabs. The object tool has a different configuration again, while the wall tool only has two.
The object tool funnily enough has the all relevant stories option, but doesn't actually work for all objects...

Now the argument for the above has been, well normally you don't want to see the slab on other stories.
The problem is you do, often you show the dashed outline of a floor above. A foundation plan you would only see the current story.
There are other examples but I'm sure the community is already well aware of them, as can be seen on the forums.

Theres all sorts of workarounds, but really the emphasis should be heres the options, you, as a user of the software can choose how you want to utilise them. Rather than, the developers limiting the use of a tool based on certain presumptions on how it might be used.

GRAPHISOFT CERTIFIED ARCHICAD BIM MANAGER

ARCHICAD 18-27 | BIMcloud Basic | CI Tools | Grasshopper - Rhino | CloudCompare | Bluebeam

LinkedIn | www.creativespace.co.nz | Tauranga, New Zealand

Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i9-9900K @3.60GHZ | 32Gb RAM | 2xSamsung S27F350 1920x1080 60Hz | Nvidia Quadro P2200 (5Gb)
2 REPLIES 2
DGSketcher
Legend
The example you have mentioned has been discussed numerous times and I would imagine has had several wish requests. On a more general overview you are correct, there are many inconsistencies in the toolbox, having a common interface I am sure speeds production, but there are apparently a lot of users who have a different perspective on the user interface and GS have also to manage legacy data. Don't hold you breath for radical changes but you never know what may come in future versions...
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted to express their opinion.

This is one of a long-standing wish in our database (please refer to it as #10415). Although it might bring some design challenges, I really hope that our Product Management team will adopt this one in the near future.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!