BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Consistency with all modeling tools

rm
Expert
I am modeling a simple and standard concrete curb and gutter for the edges of a parking lot for our building site. Ofcourse the lot is not dead flat, it has fairly steep slope for drainage.

I can model the curb/gutter profile with the Profile Manager and the wall tool to layout the curbs. As long as the curb can be modeled flat, not a problem, it works great especially at corners and radiuses. The moment the curb has to be put in on a slope, the tool no longer can do what it needs to do, meaning you cant slope curb profile parallel to the slope of the grade.

Conversely, I can model the same profile with either the Morph tool or Shell tool (which is an overly complicated tool). The Morph tool will not allow easy miters at intersections points, like the wall tool will allow and in plan view. The morph tool represents the curb graphically, completely different than does the wall tool with same profile, that should not be the case. The Shell tool is the worst in plan view as it oversimplifies the profile.

However, both the Morph tool and Shell tool allow you to pull up an elevation or 3D view of curb profile modeled and rotate or slope the profile to match the slope of the adjacent grade.

In elevation, section or 3d view, you cannot rotate the wall tool to make it parallel adjacent to the slope of the adjacent grade......When, if ever, is GS going to design the Wall tool, Slab tool, Roof tool, Beam tool, with the same ability to rotate in 3D, elevation, and section, as with the Morph and Shell tool, so we can eliminate geometry limitations in our design models.

I find this to be a weakness that has existed for too long with AC.
Robert Mariani
MARIANI design studio, PLLC
Architecture / Architectural Photography
www.robertmariani.com

Mac OSX 13.1
AC 24 / 25 / 26
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
...And then Barry comes and saves the day.

@RM

Regarding the Landscape Tool: Some Architects (myself included) consider roads, paths, sidewalks, curbs, etc as Landscape elements that are required for a proper Architecture Project. Sorry again for the misunderstanding.

Have you checked the Profiler Addon? Actually I don't use it since ages. But I think it can do the job too. Tough the Railing suggested by Barry seems more straight forward.

p.s.:
rm wrote:
Its very discouraging, even more so as you stated, "won't see such a thing implemented anytime in the near future". Lets hope, for all our sakes, you are wrong.

I have hope too... That's why I also stated "Probably" at the beginning of the sentence.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you for making the wish and sharing your own opinions!

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it into our WishList database (please refer to it as Wish #12793). Personally, I think this is an important one. Morph has the most freedom in geometry, but it lacks many abilities in terms of 2D and 3D presentation. I myself came across many element that cannot be done with standard ARCHICAD tools, due to their own limitations.

Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future!

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Learn and get certified!