BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Conteplating on the Wall End tool

Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
I would like to contemplate a bit about the importance of having really necessary tools accessible from the toolbox. Somehow, I do not find the wall-end tool stand-alone necessity so important. Logically, semantically (perhaps) and spatially (well, not all of us are so privileged to work on 20+ inch monitors for reasons varying from being deprived by the current IT manager to bosses who feel that this money can be successfully used for two shiny nuts on their new Jaguars or other, of course, important toys).
May be this tool could be quite successfully (I believe) incorporated into the wall tool as a part of extended wall end lines (see attached image).
There is no doubt it is a rather important (I would not call it a tool) extension to the wall tool. However, I hardly use it so the other question would be is it necessary to keep that linked to GDL directly or would it be better to define it in the profile manager or by other graphical means?
Thus, this poll is not set up in the fashion of "to have or not to have" but rather for functionality / use requirements.
I am pretty sure that Laszlo Vertesi will love me for this...

wall-end.jpg
::rk
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, whilst this is not directly related to how the tool and it's interface are accessed, I do have a wish/complaint for the wall end tool.

The wall end tool (specifically the Wrapped End option) needs to be able to wrap more than one composite end - our office (for better or worse) dimensions to finished surfaces - i.e to plaster and it would be graphically correct to show the plaster in larger scale plans. The problem is that the wrapped end option only allows 1 skin of a wall composite to wrap requiring a work around to fix it - See attached image...

hope that makes sense...
Anonymous
Not applicable
apologies for the poor quality image - line weights are out!
Anonymous
Not applicable
I absolutely agree with your idea, Rob! his is where WallEnd belongs!

I would also add that I find the tool at the moment very inconvenient to use and have never had the nerve to put it on my projects.
__archiben
Booster
i missed this one when you first posted rob - but yes, i totally agree: the wall end is a sub-component of the wall and should be treated as such.

perhaps 'decorative' wrappings could remain GDL based wall accessories, but plain ol' wall endings belong as a function of the wall itself.

~/archiben
b e n f r o s t
b f [a t ] p l a n b a r c h i t e c t u r e [d o t] n z
archicad | sketchup! | coffeecup
Learn and get certified!