Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Control Complex Profile Opening Reference Lines with Offset Modifiers

Matt Balaam
Enthusiast
Profile offset modifiers open up a world of possibility for flexible and adjustable wall profiles, however, currently the opening reference line cannot be adjusted with modifiers.

Imagine a framed wall with brickwork at the bottom and variable width cladding above that is controlled with a profile offset modifier. You need the opening reference line to follow the outside face of the cladding. Currently this cannot be done meaning any time the cladding width is changed the windows/doors in the wall will no longer sit in the correct location. This functionality entirely defeats the purpose of the offset modifiers requiring the profile to be edited to adjust the reference line each time the cladding is changed (and likely requiring multiple profiles if different cladding settings are needed in different locations).

It seems that the option to control the location of the opening reference lines with offset modifiers is required to make full use of the system.
AC21 (8002 AUS FULL) | AC24 (7000 AUS FULL)| Windows 10 Pro | Intel Core i7-12700 @ 2.1GHz | 32GB RAM | NVidia T1000
4 REPLIES 4
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi Matt,

Thank you very much for creating this poll, and for those of you who voted to express their opinion.

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it to our Wish List database (please refer to it as Wish #13036). I totally agree with you, that it would be great if the Opening reference could automatically set based on the Offset Modifiers.

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

Daniel Pataki
Booster

This is really a big issue. Because of this problem is not possible to use the complex profiles for outter walls with insulations at all... Also the problem appears, if I would set the opening reference line to my core layer, so my window position could be set to "0" to the core. But it only shows the position correctly in section, in floor plan it jumps to the outer skin.

However the floor plan is correct with projected view, but of course we need the symbolic view. I assume, the programming bug could be inside the window - symbolic view code...

Archicad BIM-Expert
https://www.a-null.com/

I had the same issue and found a partial workaround by inserting the windows with the reference to the inside of the wall. I've tried adjusting to various wall closures with mixed results. I had to adjust some frame dimensions and used a 1/2" reveal to allow for the interior drywall. The casing isn't adjustable enough to be useable but overall the window looks mostly correct in plan, section/elevation, and 3D views.

artKtecture uses Archicad 24/Twinmotion
Lenovo Thinkpad | Xeon E2176M@2.70 GHz | 32GB | Quadro P4200 8GB
Oculus Rift S VR tours
Contour Rollermouse Red Plus (ditch your mouse and get one of these!)
Using a highly modified Shoegnome template (Thanks Shoegnome!)

Well, it turns out the same glitch happens when I adjust the thickness of my baseboard or chair rail on the inside of the wall.

Back to the drawing board...

artKtecture uses Archicad 24/Twinmotion
Lenovo Thinkpad | Xeon E2176M@2.70 GHz | 32GB | Quadro P4200 8GB
Oculus Rift S VR tours
Contour Rollermouse Red Plus (ditch your mouse and get one of these!)
Using a highly modified Shoegnome template (Thanks Shoegnome!)