Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Control of Display Orders Via Layer Settings

Anonymous
Not applicable
This wish either belongs here or under construction wishes, I'll let the moderators decide where to place this wish.

I read other Display Order wishes but have not come across this particular one. (please point out if there has been a wish 'exactly' like this already)

I feel it could work really well if ArchiCAD could allow a provision for controlling Display Order via Layer Settings....

Currently we are able to Lock/Unlock, Hide/Show, Wire View/Solid View, and even set an intersection group number. Very nice indeed. Having said that, I would also like to see another column for Display Order and be able to specify a number which will dictate the Display Order itself on the plan.....and through this method, we would be able to achieve a different Display Order for each Layer Combination thus giving us full intuitive control of Display Orders.

Feel free to comment or elaborate on this wish as you please and take the poll.

Thanks for your time.
5 REPLIES 5
Rob
Graphisoft
Graphisoft
mate I do not think that would work. Display order is very element specific and I can not see a need for introducing generalised settings for this. In other words we could not manage this without individual element display order adjustments. However you can still use Find&Select and adjust selected elements in one go.

What I would like to see is an option to send/bring a particular element backward/forward in relation to another selected element. But that is a different story.
::rk
Anonymous
Not applicable
Proposed method would lead to great confusion in working with the Display Order.
Anonymous
Not applicable
@Valery: I beg to differ. It could work great. Confusion is almost always present when a new feature is added.
@Rob: It can still be 'element specific'. No issues there. Bring up or down elements of your choice and display them as you please. This would simply be a choice for further control should the user/drafter want it.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Having a layer based display order system might partially work. I can imagine another column in the layer settings, like the intersection group number, where you could order all your layers by expected height from top down.

The trouble is this would only half solve the problem. ArchiCAD should know how high something is with respect to something else, and automatically display accordingly.

It would be best if ArchiCAD actually used a real height-based display order. The problem only arises because the floorplan is a symbolic view of what is actually happening so there are situations where no amount of fiddling with the display order will work.

Imagine two intersecting 'C' shaped roofs, for example, each with parts overhanging the other. It is impossible to get this to display properly with the correct bits of roof correctly obscuring the other at the moment, without extra 2d work.

So I say implement a true height-based display order system, and leave the current draworder tools to get 2d fills, lines and text to display as you need. Anything else just wont solve the fundamental problem.
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
Peter wrote:
It would be best if ArchiCAD actually used a real height-based display order. The problem only arises because the floorplan is a symbolic view of what is actually happening so there are situations where no amount of fiddling with the display order will work.
Of course that's the best solution.

However I doubt it will happen anytime soon, probably because of the Solid Modeling issue explained by Bricklyne here. The same reason why SEOs don't show properly in plan.

Cheers,
Link.