Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Create SEO connection between only elements that intersect

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is a wish I thought of after reading Matthew Lohden's post about SEO.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=137834#137834

Let us say you have a lot of light fixtures and several slabs and want to cut out the light fixtures from Slabs. Select all light fixtures and all Slabs and execute the Solid Element Operation.
I am wishing for a checkbox in the SEO Palette with a name similar to this:
Create SEO relationship only between element that physically intersect.

What this would mean is that a SEO relationship would be created only between those light fixtures and those Slab that actually physically intersect in the model when the SEO command is executed. This would create much less SEO relationships, would keep the 3D Model cleaner and would be much faster to do than spending a lot of time selecting Slabs and only those light fixtures that have something to do with those Slabs.
The whole thing could be done in one step.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
11 REPLIES 11
Anonymous
Not applicable
Hi Laszlo,

I like it...
I like it so much that it should not only be within the SEO operations...
Why not add another criteria for the search and select tool?... Like... "Elements that intersect"...
In the end it would be available with the SEO... and many other situations...
What do you think?...
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
Yes, even better.
A good ides should be implemented as widely as possible.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Anonymous
Not applicable
And this concept could be extended to schedules!...
With this criteria you could create a schedule that shows intersections between specialities...
Structure vs Electrical... Structure vs Plumbing... etc...
Great idea Laszlo!
Erika Epstein
Booster
Braza wrote:
Structure vs Electrical... Structure vs Plumbing... etc...
the MEP modeler does this. You can do clash analysis with it. Not yet the elec. v. plumbing but that I understand in the pipeline (all puns intended)
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Just a little comment. Relationships between elements in 3D word are hard to detect and analyze. It is well known point. But how can we dream about 3D detection in ArchiCAD, if it can't detect 2D relations properly! Even very simple situations on your plan can produce serious problems in automatic zone detection. Sometimes I think that ArchiCAD is BIM, but not CAD really
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't know much about MEP and how it works in the AC environment...
But if it can do clash analysis maybe this criteria/function would not be that difficult to implement...
Or this analysis works only for the MEP objects?...
Erika Epstein
Booster
I don't know the technicalities. It is as though something in the MEP modeler parts can tell when they intersect with another 3D element that does not have the MEP coding.
It creates a list of clashes in the mark-up tool. From there it takes you right to the clash and the clash elements are highlighted.
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
I thought that you ideas were based on MEP modelling tools. I guess that it should be a rather limited solution. For connected systems of pipe-like objects and other simple objects as wall, slabs etc. I'll be surprised if MEP modeller handles pipes as objects with round cross-section. And analyzes time should grow quickly with increasing of model complexity.

And remember zones! Did you read anywhere that ArchiCAD isn't an area-detection tool? No, it is full-functional BIM software! Look at any ads...
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika wrote:
intersect with another 3D element that does not have the MEP coding.
And this feature works with intersections between MEP objects and... lets say... walls, slabs, columns, etc ?...

Edit:
Ok... I took a look at the MEP presentation and... yes... it can detect clash between MEP objects and all AC elements...
So... if it can do this... It should detect geometry intersections between AC elements, right?...