BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Create SEO connection between only elements that intersect

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
This is a wish I thought of after reading Matthew Lohden's post about SEO.

http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=137834#137834

Let us say you have a lot of light fixtures and several slabs and want to cut out the light fixtures from Slabs. Select all light fixtures and all Slabs and execute the Solid Element Operation.
I am wishing for a checkbox in the SEO Palette with a name similar to this:
Create SEO relationship only between element that physically intersect.

What this would mean is that a SEO relationship would be created only between those light fixtures and those Slab that actually physically intersect in the model when the SEO command is executed. This would create much less SEO relationships, would keep the 3D Model cleaner and would be much faster to do than spending a lot of time selecting Slabs and only those light fixtures that have something to do with those Slabs.
The whole thing could be done in one step.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
11 REPLIES 11
Erika Epstein
Booster
Braza wrote:
. it can detect clash between MEP objects and all AC elements...
So... if it can do this... It should detect geometry intersections between AC elements, right?...
Paulo,
If I understand correctly there is the potential for all archicad objects to detect clashes between themselves. Someone from Graphisoft would know the real answer.

But, I would think you would need to find a smart way to implement this feature. That 3D objects can now overlap without it causing a warning is a good feature to keep. Most users don't model that perfectly and /or sometimes intentionally let objects overlap. Would you want to be sorting through every clash? Potentially yes, but how about the Flowers in the water in the vase? Or Conrado's gazillion columns in his mesh?

In MEP they detect clashes between systems; one sets of objects v. another set. It would be good if we could assign objects to user-defined sets.

Or___?
Erika
Architect, Consultant
MacBook Pro Retina, 15-inch Yosemite 2.8 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
Mac OSX 10.11.1
AC5-18
Onuma System

"Implementing Successful Building Information Modeling"
Anonymous
Not applicable
Erika,

Thank you for your feedback.
If this criteria could be integrated in the search & select tool it would work with other existing criteria...
So if I would need to detect clashes I'd need to narrow the search...
In my example "Structural vs plumbing"... I'd first add 2 layer criteria... The Structural layer and the Plumbing layer...
At first... Just this would prevent lots of inappropriate clash collisions...
But then there was a problem... For example... I have lots of pipe objects that clash between themselves...
Even if they were in the plumbing layer... the gazilion clashes would still be detected...
I guess that your " user-defined system sets" could be the solution...
First you would need to define an unlimited number of "System sets"...
And AC would handle all the elements in the "System set" as a single geometry...
That would prevent those unwanted clashes...
But this would need a more elaborated criteria in the search & select tool...
Like a drop down... or perhaps a new tool...
My hunch is that this is viable...
But as you said... only the GS software team could put light over this matter...

p.s.: I thought about the clashes between elements in the same layer and came up with an idea...
Why not a "Clash filter" in the clash criteria?...
With this parameter... the clash detector could ignore clashes between elements with the same layer, ID, Material, etc...
Learn and get certified!