Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Create Sub-Drawings in ArchiCAD without sections/elevations

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be great if it were an option to add another drawing in the Navigator without creating a section, elevation, or detail marker first. Especially during the design phase where one wants to play around with different options it would help to be able to separate different ideas in different sub-drawings, which are not linked to any marker on the floor plan. I am thinking of these drawings as sketch paper that one can just add to the Navigator.
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable
timeian wrote:
I am thinking of these drawings as sketch paper that one can just add to the Navigator.
Aren't the layers and their combinations made for this, or am I missing something ?
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
Navigator-->Project Map-->Rt Click Detail icon-->"New Independent Detail..."
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the quick response.

Layers proof to be a bad solution for me, since wall intersections get messed up if multiple walls and/or columns are overlapping and their layers are turned off. It also means that one has to have multiple sets of layers with similar names (respectively, version1, 2 etc.). Sorry, but I think this presents too much overhead for me.

Thanks for the great tipp with the independent details - That is definitely a start. I was thinking along the lines of an independent floor plan drawing.

I also have an application for keeping different buildings in one file, where floor plans are different, but details and sections are the same. This gets to be a hassle if one just builds them next to one another but wants to create plans that show just one of them. This means major overhead. If one could create multiple floor plans in one project and have sections and details link to the same drawing, that would be awesome.

I am sure that I am not the only one who could use this feature. Just think about a project with a residential home and a detached garage where in plan you need to focus on either floor plan individually...
Karl Ottenstein
Geoff wrote:
Navigator-->Project Map-->Rt Click Detail icon-->"New Independent Detail..."
Great tip, Geoff. Thanks! Never noticed that there before!

Karl
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Djordje
Ace
timeian wrote:
Layers proof to be a bad solution for me, since wall intersections get messed up if multiple walls and/or columns are overlapping and their layers are turned off. It also means that one has to have multiple sets of layers with similar names (respectively, version1, 2 etc.). Sorry, but I think this presents too much overhead for me.
Use Layer intersections and it will not happen.
I also have an application for keeping different buildings in one file, where floor plans are different, but details and sections are the same. This gets to be a hassle if one just builds them next to one another but wants to create plans that show just one of them. This means major overhead. If one could create multiple floor plans in one project and have sections and details link to the same drawing, that would be awesome.
You can. Use TeamWork by storey and PLPs for different versions, regardless of the fact that you are a single user.
I am sure that I am not the only one who could use this feature. Just think about a project with a residential home and a detached garage where in plan you need to focus on either floor plan individually...
Hmmm ... in this case I would go with modules, sourcing the plans, sections and elevations from each of the files separately, and the assembly from the assembled project, and putting them together in layout books in PlotMaker of course. Yes, you have more than one file for the same project, which proper folder management can solve easily.

I personally would not want to have all of this in one file - problems like size and speed come to mind. I worked on a large development, with 8 chalets, a 400 room hotel, a shopping center, yacht club, watersports center, not to mention landscaping and misc outdoors activities. The computer that can handle all of that in real time will maybe be available in 10 years - then again, the software requirements will be greater too - so the ONLY way to go was by building, putting it all together not even as modules, but as objects - the modules proved too slow. Compared to this (the assembly was about 180 MB) your example is very tiny ...
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for all the tips Djordje.

Now I need to get some basic ArchiCAD training since I don't know how to apply any of the ideas you brought up

PLP in Teamwork?
Layer Intersections? Where do I find that.

As you can see, I am not quite there yet. Maybe you can elaborate on both ideas somewhat.

Thanks for your time.