Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Create a "Residential" forum area?

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be nice to have a “specific” Residential area in this forum to address issues more relevant to homebuilders or design/build companies who use ArchiCAD. While the many issues Residential users face are similar to those that arise from the “Architectural” use of ArchiCAD, it would be beneficial to create a place in this forum where we can more easily/directly communicate with other ArchiCAD “residential/building” professionals.

As the Residential user base grows, this forum would be more and more valuable to address the unique needs of this part of Graphisoft’s User Community...

- Localized Residential library content
- Custom vs. Production project set-up
- Quantities/Estimating - Listing vs. I.S. vs. SQL!
- Options Management - repetitive product design options
- Various Construction Technologies - Wall Panels, Trusses, SIPS, ICF, etc.
- Etc., etc., etc.

... This would also serve as a good place for Graphisoft to monitor and address more Residential specific issues as they arise.

Alternative to creating a "Residential" place within this forum:
Graphisoft has recently developed a special forum called the “Professor” forum for teachers who are involved in ArchiCAD/Constructor Education…Would it make sense to have a special forum for Residential ArchiCAD users as well???

Please vote...Thanks,
Dan K
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
WOW!

The results thus far are exactly opposite of what I expected...the majority of votes tend to consider this wish of little importance...hmmm?

Could those of you voting "less than important" please share why? I'm trying to determine if those of us who would directly benefit from this need to set up a completely separate yahoo group...your input would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. I would prefer to keep "residential" posts within this forum if possible.

Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
I think it will be troublesome to isolate what goes where, hence complicating the forum. May make it more difficult to find answers. The topics are usually good enough to determine the subject relevance.. Besides, I do 99% residential but don't mind reading commercial posts as I still learn something from them...
Anonymous
Not applicable
I voted Essential because i work for a construction comapny doing the work like Dan was talking about. it would be extremely helpful to talk to others using AC solely for residential use to discuss issues relative only to the residential design. Dan and I were talking yesterday and decided this would be a great idea for the forum. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated as to why the thread is considered Less Than Impotant.
thanx guys.
Rick Thompson
Expert
Dan, got your message, and had actually already voted.. sorry, but I voted no. I no longer do any thing but residential, but I know both. As far as the software goes, I don't think it makes that much difference, it's the same basic functioning with the same tools AC provides. If you can use the tools for one construction type, then you can for the other. I agree that it would be problematic isolating residential, it could make users miss topics they could draw something useful from if it were in the "other forum". Residential work hits a very large percent of the forum users as is, it seems to me from participating in the forum since it was email based. Many do both, so any question fundamentally ends up as a how to best use a tool AC provides. So, all questions about Calculations should be in one place, whatever the building type.

I don't think any of the listed topics your state would be missed by me, if someone posted a question, or a response. But, I look daily as I work at "new post", so I see what goes through... that could be different than someone searching. So, I rarely go to a specific area of the forum anyway, and think the available areas cover things pretty well.

Basically it seems redundant and potentially damaging as Rashid said.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rick wrote:
...Dan, got your message, and had actually already voted.. sorry, but I voted no. I no longer do any thing but residential, but I know both. As far as the software goes, I don't think it makes that much difference, it's the same basic functioning with the same tools AC provides...
Rick,
You and Rashid make some very good points and I guess I do "slightly" agree with you both to some extent...but

I still, however, feel certain residential issues use could be better supported in a special area of the forum. Maybe its the difference of those whose scope only involves designing "individual" homes and those who design and "build" homes on a "volume" production basis.

Basically, I guess I'm saying when you're involved in Medium to Large Volume Production of homes there are a number of ArchiCAD Functional issues not necessarly apparent to the "regular" user of ArchiCAD. It's kinda' hard to describe and you don't fully realize it until you actually try to set Company process flows, templates, option strategies and details, etc. in a Volume Residential environment. The forum area I'm promoting would be an area to address temporary work arounds and better highlight much needed additional functionality for this type of Residential work.

Anyway, thanks for your contributions to the discussion
Dan K
Rick Thompson
Expert
What I completely agree with you on is that there are special needs involving non-custom residential work geared towards making the AC files work in the best possible way. Carrying files through many generations of AC's development creates very unique demands on the user. This can be a tough road to hoe. Maybe a more limited area, not labeled as "residential use but not commercial" would have more reason for being.

I do appreciate what you are getting at. It has taken me years to development the "system" I use, involving many areas.. AC, the OS, interface with the internet.. etc. Now I can comfortably handle what I do by myself, but look forward to retiring and not answering the phone at all:) I really want to be a lumberjack.
Rick Thompson
Mac Sonoma AC 26
http://www.thompsonplans.com
Mac M2 studio w/ display
Djordje
Ace
Dan,

As this is US specific, maybe Graphisoft US will be more understanding and grant your wish?

Residential work as it is practised in the US is not applicable in the rest of the world, AFAIK. Therefore, I see little interest for all the ArchiCAD users worldwide in your specific problems. However, your solutions might help others, as they often have done, in ArchiCAD usage completely unrelated to Residential work.

So, it is the software we discuss, not a particular application. If this forum existed, then there should also be Interior design forum, Highrise forum, Industrial architecture forum, Urban design forum, Prefabrication forum, etc etc etc etc ... is there an aspect of design and building practice that ArchiCAD is not used in? I don't think so.

Still, we all use the same tools, to different purposes and ends. The other two Talkers, who are into Residential, also think that it is not needed - don't shoot me
Djordje

ArchiCAD since 4.55 ... 1995
HP Omen
Anonymous
Not applicable
I tend to agree with all in this case. i would really like to see a thread given solely to volume residential housing but on the other hand i see the point made by djordje and it is sensable not to have it set up this way. maybe there could be use for a US Residential forum for US standards. this is a good point by djordje and he made good points. I Agree with all parties involved at this point.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, Djorde makes some good points. This forum wish does tend to be for a very specific user group (US Residential)...and yes, the unique issues of US Residential, especially Production Residential, may not be of interest to the ArchiCAD user base worldwide.

US Residential, however, represents a very good "localized" opportunity for GraphisoftUS to expand their software market share. Perhaps the Leadership of GraphisoftUS can consider a way to offer this level of specific forum support.

If anyone from GraphisoftUS is interested or has any questions about what/why I promoting this specific forum area, please PM me and I'll plead the case.

Much thanks to everyone participating in the poll,
Dan K