Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Create a "Residential" forum area?

Anonymous
Not applicable
It would be nice to have a “specific” Residential area in this forum to address issues more relevant to homebuilders or design/build companies who use ArchiCAD. While the many issues Residential users face are similar to those that arise from the “Architectural” use of ArchiCAD, it would be beneficial to create a place in this forum where we can more easily/directly communicate with other ArchiCAD “residential/building” professionals.

As the Residential user base grows, this forum would be more and more valuable to address the unique needs of this part of Graphisoft’s User Community...

- Localized Residential library content
- Custom vs. Production project set-up
- Quantities/Estimating - Listing vs. I.S. vs. SQL!
- Options Management - repetitive product design options
- Various Construction Technologies - Wall Panels, Trusses, SIPS, ICF, etc.
- Etc., etc., etc.

... This would also serve as a good place for Graphisoft to monitor and address more Residential specific issues as they arise.

Alternative to creating a "Residential" place within this forum:
Graphisoft has recently developed a special forum called the “Professor” forum for teachers who are involved in ArchiCAD/Constructor Education…Would it make sense to have a special forum for Residential ArchiCAD users as well???

Please vote...Thanks,
Dan K
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Rashid wrote:
I think it will be troublesome to isolate what goes where, hence complicating the forum. ...
Rashid,
I think it would make a new users experience less complicated...

A recent example of why a Residential Forum could be very helpful...

Here's a new "residential" user migrating from Cheif Architect to Archicad. this person is sure to have a myriad of questions like:

Where do I start?
What can and can't i do?
What are some of the Residential "best practices" ArchiCAD users currently use?

See the post: http://archicad-talk.graphisoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=8372

A Residential Forum would help isolate items specific to the needs of a new residential user...and greatly speed up the initial learning curve by making residential information more readily available...Without a specific residential forum, this user will have to search through the entire forum to find small nuggets of info he/she probably needs more immediately.

Dan K
Anonymous
Not applicable
Dan,

I have always felt new things should created only to satisfy a pressing need. Do you feel residential issues are getting lost? I use a link that summarizes new posts since last visit and hardly find any residential only topics, unless some feel unwelcome discussing such?

Regarding potential New Users, there are various kinds so a residential only forum may be limiting. Revit forum has a VERY useful section dedicated to those considering Revit...

http://forums.augi.com/forumdisplay.php?f=160

Perhaps the powers that be should assemble such a thread in the New Users area, or better still, create a special section for it. It is priceless and really welcomes newcomers with open arms.

A simple option in the post reply window and search windows for "general, residential, Commercial... etc" could do what you have in mind with the least chance of forum fragmentation but I bet you most will select all when searching so they don't miss anything.
I think Djorgje has said it just right.

I voted not important. I would be interested in a Residential ArchiCAD Forum but not because of what i would expect to learn about ArchiCAD from it.

The forum we have is just fine for me and I do almost all custom residential work. In fact, I think of it, and use it as if it were a "residential" forum. "residential" questions or posts never seem out of place here. I like the diversity of topics, projects, and problems we have here. This is a good forum like it is.

ArchiCAD 25 7000 USA - Windows 10 Pro 64x - Dell 7720 64 GB 2400MHz ECC - Xeon E3 1535M v6 4.20GHz - (2) 1TB M.2 PCIe Class 50 SSD's - 17.3" UHD IPS (3840x2160) - Nvidia Quadro P5000 16GB GDDR5 - Maxwell Studio/Render 5.2.1.49- Multilight 2 - Adobe Acrobat Pro - ArchiCAD 6 -25