BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.
SOLVED!

Create restrictions as in revit

Anonymous
Not applicable
Hello! I would like the archicad to include in the future the restrictions that exist in revit. For example, when creating a wall and a network element you can link them and if you move the network element, it automatically lengthens or aligns the wall. Sorry for my English.
       If someone knows something similar now, tell me! Thank you ! Regards!
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solution
While this would be a useful feature in some situations, I would guess that a large reason why GS would be reluctant to implement it (at least to the degree that Revit does) is because in situations like Revit where you have a lot of automatic association of elements , you tend to suffer a major performance (and stability) hit as the project grows more in size and the number of associations as well keep increasing, thereby increasing the number of them that the program has to keep track of.

My memories of working with Revit from a couple of years ago was the number of program crashes we would get thanks to to many association ( "cyclic" error or something like that).
They would even warn you in official Revit forums to be aware of the number of associations you had or kept creating in your program because sooner or later it would crash and you possibly would lose your work if not your project file altogether.

That doesn't sound like a great recipe for productivity and if that's what's keeping GS from implementing in ArchiCAD then I'm fine with them leaving it out.

Maybe giving the user the option and ability to create custom associations instead of making them automatic would be a good middle ground, since, in that situation it's you - the user - who's creating these links and it's ultimately up to you to keep track of them depending on how stable you want your project to be.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
Lingwisyer
Guru
There are quite a few wishes for the ability to associate elements of different types to each other. At the moment, the only tool to do this is the AC21+ Stair Tool. The main limitation of how the association system in AC works at the moment is that it can only associate node to node, not edge to edge or node to edge.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
Solution
While this would be a useful feature in some situations, I would guess that a large reason why GS would be reluctant to implement it (at least to the degree that Revit does) is because in situations like Revit where you have a lot of automatic association of elements , you tend to suffer a major performance (and stability) hit as the project grows more in size and the number of associations as well keep increasing, thereby increasing the number of them that the program has to keep track of.

My memories of working with Revit from a couple of years ago was the number of program crashes we would get thanks to to many association ( "cyclic" error or something like that).
They would even warn you in official Revit forums to be aware of the number of associations you had or kept creating in your program because sooner or later it would crash and you possibly would lose your work if not your project file altogether.

That doesn't sound like a great recipe for productivity and if that's what's keeping GS from implementing in ArchiCAD then I'm fine with them leaving it out.

Maybe giving the user the option and ability to create custom associations instead of making them automatic would be a good middle ground, since, in that situation it's you - the user - who's creating these links and it's ultimately up to you to keep track of them depending on how stable you want your project to be.
DGSketcher
Legend
There is a loose association process available in AC for editing multiple elements. Unfortunately I can't find it it the online help at this time. If you have common reference lines for slabs, walls & roofs, select them all and suspend groups, you can then edit the reference line of one of the elements and the rest will follow. It is quite powerful if your model respects the common reference line process. You can reshape a straight edge to a curve and the wall, slabs and roof will all reshape to suit. This is best done in 3D as you may want to edit multiple elements on several storeys.

Of course there is still the marquee method of stretching in plan view.
Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)
Anonymous
Not applicable
It is true, in certain occasions the automatic restrictions can be a problem when you do not want to associate different elements, but a type of manual restriction would be very helpful, at least with my experience with the use of these programs. Thank you all for your answers, this was my first post !.
Anonymous
Not applicable
example link
jl_lt
Ace

While some light restrictions and relationships would certainly be desirable in Archicad (something like walls to grid, wall to wall, edge of slab to grid, and objects to slab and/or wall), most often than not, modifying them manually in an Archicad project is much faster than waiting for revit to do it, that is, if it doesnt crash before.

Learn and get certified!