Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Custom Attribute Index number limitation

Looks like we have got the attribute reindexer in AC 24.  Now we have a problem of limit of the number we can apply to a custom attribute index number. 32767.  This is the maximum number of elements in a GDL array.  Funnily enough it appears that the issue I am having applies to elements that are based around GDL.  

I have been trying figure out a way to sort attributes using an index number based of a classification system number like Uniclass 2015 or MasterspecNZ. For example in MasterspecNZ Concrete 3121 so a building material of concrete in-situe would have an attribute index number 312101 so if I need to add additional surfaces or building materials then they can be added within the same number range 3121. Currently there is a limit in the number that can be used which is 32767. I need to do this because I need to make sure across a range of files that the attributes of fills, surfaces and building materials are always consistent. I need to know that the expressions for take off that I am writing will always point to the correct attribute. Failure to do so will mean inaccurate costings.

Can Graphisoft please increase the attribute index number that GDL objects can read and the part of the Archicad database that is still based on GDL can refer to so that I can plan out how I am going to manage attributes between different files.

Kind Regards,

Sebastian Monroe

Director/Architect

T: +61 3 9017 6666

www.codearchitecture.com.au

NOM ARCH VIC ARB: 17939

Archicad v26, Mac Mini INTEL 64GB, AMD Radeon Pro
6 REPLIES 6
Barry Kelly

Are you sure attribute index numbers is the best way to do this?

Copy and paste from one file to another, hotlink modules or simply a user creating a new attribute could all lead to the index numbers changing.

The general user really has no control over the attribute index numbers.

Building materials have an ID.

Any reason you can not add the code number to the ID?

Surfaces and fills are another mater - they don't have ID's - although I am sure there is a wish somewhere that they should.

There is also a wish to have a central attribute file that all other Archicad files can refer to.

It has certainly been discussed with the developers and is something they have said they would like to do.

Whether it happens or not I can't say.

But I hope it does.

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Lingwisyer
Guru

Use a glossary to define ranges for each instead of burning the majority of your workspace on a 3rd party index?

Or maybe you can shorthand your 3rd party index somehow?

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660 
DGSketcher
Legend

I don't think the attribute index is the problem here, particularly when it is a numeric only value. If I had 32k element attributes I doubt I could find what I was looking for quickly. A better request would be to ensure there is access to an alphanumeric code field for flexible entries like "J-40-100" and a separate description field for all attributes. However, AC is currently not rigged that way and everything is merged into the description including the code; layer names being a good example. AC is pretty good in the GDL department at managing and breaking up strings, if you need to interrogate the index.

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)

I have a spreadsheet that has all my attributes with their index numbers listed so that if a new attribute is needed it is created specifically with a attribute number in mind.  After copying elements from one file to another an audit process is undertaken to ensure that the attributes conform to the company standard by exporting each attribute list to a text file and then opening that text file in Excel.  Then using an IF THEN statement the text file is checked against the company standard for compliance.  This way all files are always compliant to the company standard and if a hotline is attached to a a project file, like a standard kitchen, bathroom or laundry we know that the attributes will always align.

Kind Regards,

Sebastian Monroe

Director/Architect

Sounds like you have the attributes under control then.

I don't think there is a limit on the actual attribute number.

I just changed an attribute to 9999999 in version 25 using the 'Reindex' button.

BarryKelly_0-1636677327661.png

The width of the Attribute Manager dialogue can not be changed, so large numbers will be hard to read.

So it seems your problem is with GDL limitations?

Are you using a GDL object (I assume a 'MASTER_GDL' object) to read your spread sheet and create the attributes?

Is there a way of doing that without arrays?

Barry.

One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11

Update to attribute index issue.  

It appears that all attributes appear correct when selecting in the element settings panel.  The only place there is still a problem is when you try to use an attribute with an index number over 32767 in the equation editor.

I would ask Graphisoft if they could please increase the attribute index number availability across all areas of the program so that we can accurately reference these both in the "Preference Equation Editor" and in python scripts and that the attribute will not be classed as "Missing".  

I am trying to ensure that across all projects and on output to IFC that all attributes, associated property equations etc are consistent from one project to another.  If you could somehow reference attributes through an internal Archicad database number then I could write scripts that I know would always be consistent no matter the attribute index number.

I would be very very grateful for this issue to be fixed.  Thank you in advance.

Kind Regards,

Sebastian Monroe

Director/Architect