BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Custom Column - Revolved Profile

Lingwisyer
Guru
Rather than just extruding a profile, would we be able to get the option to revolve the profile instead? Just like how the revolve option for the Shell Tool works at the moment. In this way we can easily model vertically complex columns that have rotational symmetry while still being a singular dynamic object.

In one project, I've modelled the columns as curved walls. This allows me to stretch them according to the material accurate complex profile, but I'm assuming this would create issues if you are needing to schedule them as they are actually 2 curved walls. In in the case you wanted a column with more sides, this issue would be compounded.

In a second, I've modelled them as revolved shells, which have then been converted to a morph in order to modify surfaces, then saved out as an object. In this way I can create a column that consists of a singular object as long as it has rotational symmetry. The down side of this is that they are static meaning that a new object needs to be created for every size variation.

Ling.

AC22-23 AUS 7000Help Those Help You - Add a Signature
Self-taught, bend it till it breaksCreating a Thread
Win11 | i9 10850K | 64GB | RX6600 Win10 | R5 2600 | 16GB | GTX1660
1 REPLY 1
Barry Kelly
The railing tool can create a post from a revolved complex profile.
So it would be possible to create a column object that uses the complex profile and revolves it as well.

You still need multiple complex profiles if you want different column profiles, but on the other hand you can modify the profile to affect all columns using it.

It is a shame the GDL can not use the new profile modifiers in 22 (I am pretty sure that it can't) because then you could have a parametric column object (of course you could script it).

Barry.
One of the forum moderators.
Versions 6.5 to 27
Dell XPS- i7-6700 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB ram, GeForce GTX 960 (2GB), Windows 10
Lenovo Thinkpad - i7-1270P 2.20 GHz, 32GB RAM, Nvidia T550, Windows 11
Learn and get certified!