Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Custom grid - is there a way to make one?

furtonb
Advisor
Hi,

Is there a way to modify the grid object used by the grid tool?
I would like to modify a few things to fit my needs:

1. disable the shape around the grid Name (circle, rectangle, etc.) for visual clarity:

I can do this when the paper is clear white, just set the outline to white, it "disappears", but it is visible again when there is a fill underneath (cut ground, or other things).

2. make the "square" shape aligned and use it as a background for clarity, but as small as possible. (Btw, this option should be called "diamond" in my opinion.)

3. right now the text offset is controlled by the shape size, I don't like this, I would like to create an offset parameter that can be different from the shape size.

The things I tried so far: the grids can be opened, I am using the "Standard grid marker". I've started modifying how it looks, but I fail to load with the grid tool.

Is there a way to do it? I really don't want to draw my grids in 2D on all the views...
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
5 REPLIES 5
runxel
Legend
As you already found out the grid marker is a fairly standard GDL object.
However, and this is a bad design choice and should be addressed by GS, you can not choose a different marker.
I had the same issue a couple of months ago and had to resign. I tried a lot of shenanigans but I have to conclude that it seems impossible to get to deploy your own marker.

Please GS! Make a nice little button there so we can choose between markers! Maybe in AC24 update 3, huh?
Lucas Becker | AC 27 on Mac | Author of Runxel's Archicad Wiki | Editor at SelfGDL | Developer of the GDL plugin for Sublime Text |
«Furthermore, I consider that Carth... yearly releases must be destroyed»
furtonb
Advisor
+1 to make this happen!

In the meantime I saved the grid object as a new one, changed the object subtype to "Model Element" so I can place it individually, manually re-entered the AC_ variables (is there a way to keep them when you change the object subtype?) ...but I'm not sure how the section/elevation display is handled, it doesn't show up there.
I also have weird glitches with the text display in floor plan - if I zoom out, the grid name disappears.

I think it wasn't meant for "standalone" use.
odv.hu | actively using: AC25-27 INT | Rhino6-8 | macOS @ apple silicon / win10 x64
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I have made it into a wish and added a Poll so you can now vote on it.
I think these are essential wishes.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
furtonb
Advisor
Thanks for the poll, I hope someday it will make it into the program.
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Hi All,

Thank you very much for sharing your wishes and requests, and for those of you who voted to express their opinion.

I am happy to say we took notice of this wish and I have added it to our Wish List database (please refer to it as Wish #12950). Hopefully, our Product Management team will adopt this one in the future. Personally, I definitely agree with all points above!

Thank you all once more, and I wish you a great day!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT