Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Customise the F1 Key

Anonymous
Not applicable
I WISH! you could change the F1 key shortcut. It is always defaulted to ArchiCAD help and you can't disable it. I wish they would allow you to change it as I always accidentally hit F1 (when tapping esc) - Which brings up help!
10 REPLIES 10
Karl Ottenstein
From your question, I assume you must be on Windows. F1 is the Microsoft standard help key. I'm surprised you're not seeing Help pop up using Word, Excel, etc., too?

Reasonable wish though to be able to over-ride it.
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes, I am on windows. I probably would encounter the same problem with other windows software except i use the esc key ALOT in ArchiCAD and it's the quick flicking of it which i find i sometimes accidently hit F1 (and help can take a while in archicad to pop up sometimes because it is launched in internet explorer). Frustrating!
Anonymous
Not applicable
Simon

I've fixed mine and several others in the office with a deft flick of a butter knife! Popped the F1 key clean out of it's socket!
andrewzarb
Booster
Kristian wrote:
Simon

I've fixed mine and several others in the office with a deft flick of a butter knife! Popped the F1 key clean out of it's socket!
Lateral thinking! We were all thinking of a software solution
Anonymous
Not applicable
It was possible to reassign F1 key till AC9 or 10. The it was prohibited. So it is an AC's problem, not Windows'.
I want it back too, because it;s silly not to be able to use a on the keyboard!
GAG
Advocate
1. My default browser is Mozilla Firefox, but when I press F1, Internet Explorer popups.

2. Sometimes when I press Esc (Cancel) or F2 (Plan), I accidentally press F1 key too or F1 key only. It really annoying to see how Internet Explorer blocks my work!

I'm sure that this is essential wish, coz currently there is no workaround to stop Internet Explorer from ceasing our work!
George
Anonymous
Not applicable
This too was a pet hate of mine, with previous versions of ArchiCAD prior to 10 I think you could use F1 as a shortcut key so I used it for "Split" anyway when 10 came and the F1 became "Help" by default I was too far gone to retrain my brain and kept on hitting F1.

Anyway my solution was a little app called "Key Tweak"

Here: Key Tweak Home Page

It lets you reassign keys, so what I did was reassign F1 with F12 and so forth, so now when I hit F1 the computer believes I hit F12, I then set up "Split" to F12, and hey presto back to what I'm used to.

Give it a try, it's free, and small.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Brewer wrote:
This too was a pet hate of mine, with previous versions of ArchiCAD prior to 10 I think you could use F1 as a shortcut key so I used it for "Split" anyway when 10 came and the F1 became "Help" by default I was too far gone to retrain my brain and kept on hitting F1.

Anyway my solution was a little app called "Key Tweak"

Here: Key Tweak Home Page

It lets you reassign keys, so what I did was reassign F1 with F12 and so forth, so now when I hit F1 the computer believes I hit F12, I then set up "Split" to F12, and hey presto back to what I'm used to.

Sounds like a good interum fix! Thanks. Such a simple thing should really be fixed in a HotFix or at the very least the next Version.
GAG
Advocate
Brewer wrote:
just read this (from app's official site):

Question:
Can KeyTweak create remappings specific for a user, an application, or an input locale?
Answer:
No. Remappings are global.

Get it?
George