Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dark Mode/Dark theme for ARCHICAD (on both macOS and Windows)

Daniel Kovacs
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
Apple introduced Dark mode in macOS 10.14 Mojave, and Microsoft also started implementing it in Windows the same year (2018).

ARCHICAD currently works when the Operating System is turned to Dark Mode, but doesn't have a dark theme yet. This change could be quite development-resource heavy (as the engine of ARCHICAD’s UI is not ready for having 2 different representations, so it would require a complete overhaul), and could also take away time from functional developments in favour of a cosmetic upgrade.

PS.: I found other similar polls but I wanted to get more specific than those. I link them here for reference (I personally like the mock-up of Emil Meijer):
Black/Dark theme option for UI
Dark GUI theme
Dark scheme
Daniel Alexander Kovacs

Professional Services Consultant

GRAPHISOFT

For Troubleshooting and useful Tips & Tricks visit
34 REPLIES 34
Revec58793
Beginner

I think that I can have a middle ground suggestion on the topic that should be both lightweight and not development intensive. 

Since most of the interface is white and black you can most likely just put a switch in the GUI that invert the luminus value of the colours (also, give it a gama corection drop down menue so you balance out the gray contrast). Since that would keep all the colours, most contrast and don't requier dublel development since it uses existing resources it should be a good option.

(Just an sugestion but for the 3d view it might be better to just change the sky to a difrent preset thats more of a night sky, it would also make it a practical easy to acces function)
(the inverted image have the 50% gray set to 65%, why the gama setting is needed)

Honestly, I usually need to stop early because how harsh the default white GUI is on my eyes even after changing from the displays 9300k to 5000k and turning down the backlight.

Alakelele
Contributor

Still no interface update in 2022, that is sad everybody, UX designers out there ? Human factors maybe ? Please bring it on

I agree with your firts statement but disagree with your conclusion.
First you said it hurts our eyes and then you say, not so important. That's my disgrament, comfort for the user should be priority number one, please at least give us the option to adjust the colors, Rhino does it, Revit does, Autocad does it.

DGSketcher
Legend

I can’t believe after all this time we are still having to put up with black outs & white outs in dialogs, let alone a complete failure in either mode to address button highlighting. I think any arguments for wasting resources on this are wearing a bit thin when you look at SAM and Param-O. As many have said previously the interface plays a big part in accessibility and workflow, it’s no good having amazing tools if you can’t see where to change the settings. 

Apple iMac Intel i9 / macOS Sonoma / AC27UKI (most recent builds.. if they work)