Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dedicated Shared Resource File

Anonymous
Not applicable
After proposing a Dedicated Multilink Resource File in other topics related to issues in managing attributes on multi hotlinked projects, I decided to post the wish.
Here is what I propose:
1. A dedicated external file format (.rsf) that could pack not only Attributes but also: Model View Options, Dimensions, Graphic Overrides, Properties, Classifications, Schedules, Library Parts, Images, Drawings, Master Layouts and Favorites;
2. These files could be loaded in the Library Manager, and after loading them, all the resources would be available within the project;
3. The .rsf files could be edited and saved in a project with the Resource Manager;
4. Updated/Edited .rsf files would trigger a warning similar to a Module File Updater;
5. The Resource Manager could exchange resources from different .rsf files;
6. The Resource Manager could also concatenate different resources from multiple .rsf files and create new .rsf files.

With this workflow, we could create and manage a single .rsf file for: Multiple specific Office Standards, Team Work Project Resources, Manufacture/Commercial Resources in a single Package for easy download and maintaining. Manufacturers could create specific Properties, Schedules, Surfaces, Building Materials, etc...

What do you think?

20 REPLIES 20
Anonymous
Not applicable
I was about to mention that a "blank" file would be needed but you added just after.
It's a great suggestion and could easily become a "main feature" of a new version of Archicad. Let's say Archicad 25. This is a great idea and would make hotlinked/host files workflow unproblematic.
Anonymous
Not applicable
This would be a highly desirable feature for most organisations as you could have the company attributes file referenced into many projects and if combined with some checking / compliance tools or reports would allow QA auditing of files against the company standards. If a different set of attributes is required for specific project requirements the project could be linked to specific project attributes file

Regards
Scott
Brett Brown
Advocate
Been advocating this for years. Would be exactly the same as the Resource Manager in Vectorworks. Apparently an API could also do this and it would sure be a moneymaker in the meantime for someone. Essential
Imac, Big Sur AC 20 NZ, AC 25 Solo UKI,
schagemann
Enthusiast
I agree that this is an important feature - however, it is not new!

A centralised seed file has been discussed in detail for at least 10 years, on this an other Graphisoft forums and even in person during various technical visits by Graphisoft HQ.

@Minh > how does this wish list work, is there no cross check for existing features... and if this wish is not already on the list, why?

Btw. the BIMCLOUD server is the perfect location for this centralised SRF or seed file.

Regarding, the OPs idea of the sync being bidirectional by default is a good idea, although I am not a friend of micro management, a SRF connected / wired to multiple or all your project files and which can get updated from anywhere is a bit of a risk factor... maybe if it was limited to a specific BIM Manager role which controls the distribution process?

Also in our experience, across all project sizes you will always have project specific attributes that get added as you go along. Again this is where we had suggested in the past that the BIMCLOUD server could facilitate the QA process by comparing the attribute set in a given file agains such a sees or SRF file, highlight the differences and repeats across projects, which you can then add to your base SRF file for future projects.

But either way I would be more than happy to have a very simple implementation of this as a starting point.
macinteract
Design Technology Managers.
All  on macOS | since AC 6

Archicad Framework > Smart Template 27
Smart Tree, Transmittal and Universal Label and other smart GDL Objects
By Architects for Architects.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Yes. This is a well known wish in the community.
I did search the Wishlist and didn't found anything specific. Just a series of comments on various related topics.
Sometimes people don't do anything about it expecting that someone has done it already.
So I decided to post the whish essence, and other extends, just to make sure it won't be missed.
Cheers,
Anonymous
Not applicable
BIMserver or not should be a choice. On a BIMserver however, it makes sense because of the roles and editing rights features that could be enhanced.

It would be nice to have an action history of these changes, kind of the same as the actions by user listed on the BIMserver. Mainly a list of attributes changed or created. This list would be great for a manager to have a look from time to time at the changes that have been done and assure overall quality, leaving, at the same time as much freedom as desired for the teams to edit or create new attributes.
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
afaria wrote:
BIMserver or not should be a choice. On a BIMserver however, it makes sense because of the roles and editing rights features that could be enhanced.

I think BIMServer (BIMcloud) should definitely be a choice. The master resource file would be on the Bimcloud and all Archicad instances, wherever they are in the world, could update their resources, attributes, etc., from the master file on the BIMcloud.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Minh Nguyen
Graphisoft Alumni
Graphisoft Alumni
schagemann wrote:
I agree that this is an important feature - however, it is not new!

@Minh > how does this wish list work, is there no cross check for existing features... and if this wish is not already on the list, why?
Hi,

Thank you for the question!
It is true that this wish has been discussed multiple times, and I could find some of its variations in the Wish List database. However, as @Braza mentioned, this is a very specific wish, with a clear goal/vision for implementation, therefore I decided to enter it as a new one.

Currently, the Wish List is an internal database. I hope that we will be able to open it for public voting soon!

Best regards,
Minh

Minh Nguyen
Technical Support Engineer
GRAPHISOFT

jl_lt
Ace
Currently, the Wish List is an internal database. I hope that we will be able to open it for public voting soon!

Thanks, Mr. Mnguyen. That would be great and allow for allocating the resources on the things that matter the most
Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice suggestions Guys!
All agreed.

Continuing from here...

8. With the creation of the Dedicated Shared Resource File, then the Library Manager would no more be able to load single objects or .lcf files. The only way to load resources would be from a Resource File.
9. If a new module would be inserted with resources not loaded in the host file, then a message would appear: "The module contains external resource files. Do you want to load them in your Library Manager?"