Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Demolition plans

Anonymous
Not applicable
A demo tool is of vital importance. I've mentioned this before. Using ArchiCad for renovation work can be cumbersome. We need to demolish doors windows, etc. The work arounds are not fun.
12 REPLIES 12
Agreed,

There is a tool available at Objects Online for door and window demolition work. Sorry, can't remember the name.
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Dave Jochum
Advocate
outpostarc wrote:
A demo tool is of vital importance. The work arounds are not fun.
I wholeheartily agree. Top priority.
Dave Jochum
J o c h u m A R C H I T E C T S http://www.jochumarchitects.com
MBP 16" (M1 Max) 64 GB•OS 13.5.2•AC 27 Silicon (latest build)
Rakela Raul
Participant
if you remember tool pls post it...i searchd the entire obj online and couldnt find it.....(revit 7 has a nice demo tool).
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
I'm out of the office on the road today. Send an e-mail to David Correia directly. I'm sure he'll be able to assist. If anyone gets hold of him perhaps they could post the name here.

Post 100. Dim the lights and chill the ham...
Think Like a Spec Writer
AC4.55 through 27 / USA AC27-4060 USA
Rhino 8 Mac
MacOS 14.2.1
Rakela Raul
Participant
http://www.objectsonline.com/arc/

'infills, door and windows'
MACBKPro /32GiG / 240SSD
AC V6 to V18 - RVT V11 to V16
KeesW
Advocate
I wish that changing walls to dashed lines to indicate that it is being demolished, would automatically change the lines of doors and windows in those same walls, to the same line type.

Archicad's philosophy is that you can't have a door or window without a wall (hence there are no separate door and window layers). Surely, using the same logic, one can't demolish a wall without also removing doors and windows that occur in it.

KeesW
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU
Anonymous
Not applicable
A workaround for windows demiolition - in Ac 9 windows have a background colour. So make an empty window with a dark background colour and Ctrl+Alt click on the windows you want to demolish.

For doors you cannot use this way because they do not have a background colour but you can substitute them for windows. Or ( if you are more pacient) edit the door LibPart by copying background colour from a widow LibPart.

No Calculation Data though - omly 2D.

Voted Essential.
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
I voted for 'average.'

The key in manipulating all objects is in the GDL attributes within each type of wall, door, window, roof or slab object. In remodeling or alteration work, the key is to identify what we are getting rid of, (demo'ing) and what is being put in or put back.

For instance, accurate remodeling is not that easy in ArchiCAD by just simply taking out a window unless you change a number of parameters so the hole remains and some kind of patch goes back on. We've known about this since version 3 or 4.

Devising a software shortcut (or tool) to change wall, door, window, floor or roof attributes such as line type, color, texture, layer (or make it vanish) and so forth might negate the very purpose of documenting the various demo'd items. Often these tools require a certain working method that is outside of the usual (and traditional) design methodologies (wow....haven't used that term in a while). Another words, we might still have to pay attention to what we are doing instead of letting the softwares' limited and questionable artificial intelligence do the designing instead. I know this is boring....but we are professionals here.

Despite the way the ArchiCAD is marketed, Graphisoft has alway been extremely careful to devise software to work as much as possible like we in the architecture profession, have traditionally worked: to devise an accurate model of our design ideas and document them for the use by others.

Error trapping is key to sound architectural design and documentation of that particular design. Demolition is an area were individual attention to detail is crucial, with the possibility of a lot of serious (as well as comical) results.

Remember, doing an erase tool like photoshop or illustrator is too 'flat-land' for the modeling capabilities found in ArchiCAD. It is the attributes in the objects themselves that must be maniputlated.

Professionallly, I don't really need such a tool right now in my practice where 75% of my present work involves alterations; both commercial and residential. Doing demo with ACAD presently is not a problem and it works as efficiently if not better than doing the design in analog (paper drafting). I can even simulate the demo'd building in 3D to the lucky builder if they want. And a rough sketch....even generated by a computer, still gets their attention!

I'm suspicious of adding another 'gimmick' that doesn't really work and simply adds more cost but less value.....However I'm open to suggestions.....as long as the new tool really works!

My 2 cents.

Regards,

Mark R. Wallace AIA

Mac G3 (Rev1), 350Mhz, 1 Gb RAM, OSX.3.7, ArchiCAD 7.0, Plotmaker 2.3 v 3, OSX
--------------------------------------------------------
Mark Wallace Architect
Collegeville PA 19426
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
KeesW
Advocate
Mark

Can you give me an instance of when one might demolish a wall without also demolishing doors and windows in the wall?

Kees
Cornelis (Kees) Wegman

cornelis wegman architects
AC 5 - 26 Dell XPS 8940 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD 2TB HD RTX 3070 GPU
Laptop: AC 24 - 26 Win 10 16GB 1TB SSD RTX 3070 GPU