Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Demolition plans

Anonymous
Not applicable
A demo tool is of vital importance. I've mentioned this before. Using ArchiCad for renovation work can be cumbersome. We need to demolish doors windows, etc. The work arounds are not fun.
12 REPLIES 12
Mark Wallace
Enthusiast
Kees,

Sorry for the delay......Good question!
KeesW wrote:
Mark

Can you give me an instance of when one might demolish a wall without also demolishing doors and windows in the wall?

Kees

I've had instances where a door, window or objects were saved for reuse, salvage or sale by Owner or others. This happens on projects such as in an historical district.

There was a restaurant project not long ago, were the client wanted to reuse their existing entry doors because those doors had been so traditionally associated with the place even though the interior was getting a whole new look. The walls were 'gone' but the doors 'remain.'

The documentation convention I've used for decades is to mark existing doors remaining as a 45 degree swing, solid line and doors being removed with a 45 degree swing, dashed line (New doors are 90 degrees with a mark, solild line and so forth).

Now......special care or action on the Builder/Contractor's part will require special care on the designer's part.

When I have an object that is to be saved, salvaged or reused I have 2 possibilities;
1. Saving or Salvaging; Annotate the object on the demo plan with a note. Mark the object for removal (along with the rest of the wall).
2. Reuse in new construction; copy the object's attributes (eye-dropper/syringe) to a new object and place that object in the new wall. Mark the ID on the object. Do the above actions in #1 on the Demo plan noting the object for reuse in new construction with reference to any refurbishment, specs and so forth. Mark the object in the new construction as NEW as well and annotate it. Coordinate the object on the Door Schedule by putting enough info so the contractor knows what we expect.

My issue in the above thread was to point out that a 'Demo-tool' would have to be extra-intelligent to go 'inventory' a design and designate (maybe with a set of scripts) what is happening with each object and then deal with each item in the final documents accordingly. My point is that as of 2005, a good Architect/Engineer/Designer can do this so much more efficiently and will still need input from the Client.

Besides I have a hard enough time getting the software to do the listing and schedules as efficiently as I can by transposing IDs to a spreadsheet.....but now I'm off topic.

What is On-topic is the fact that ArchiCAD treats all of my design projects the way I do....I maintain much of the design info about the project & ArchiCAD is the database I configure using the 'plan' metaphor; and I then can issue the design info in the various forms of drawings and specs....like we've always done.

As GDL, objects, lists and similar functions (not to mention the hardware) get more sophisticated and convenient to use, I'm sure the time for a Demo tool may actually arrive. I'm also sure that Graphisoft will have figured it out by the time I realize I may actually need it.

HTH.

Regards,

Mark R. Wallace AIA

Mac G3 (Rev1), 350 Mhz, 1Gb RAM, OSX.3.7, ArchiCAD 7.0, Plotmaker 2.3.v3.OSX
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mark Wallace Architect
Collegeville PA 19426
USA
(v) 610-454-9510
Mark R. Wallace AIA
---------------------------------------

MacBook 2.53 Ghz, Intel Core i5, 8 Gb,
Mac OSX (Sierra 10.12.6,
ArchiCAD 22 USA Full, +21, & 20.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I wish that changing walls to dashed lines to indicate that it is being demolished, would automatically change the lines of doors and windows in those same walls, to the same line type.
Perhaps I am not understanding the needs correctly, but in situations where I have a wall with doors or windows to be removed, I change the window or door to display with a dashed line just as I do for the wall. This is quite simple if you uncheck the box in the floor plan section which says "use symbol linetype" and chose a dashed line.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I have seen the demo tool of our main BIM competitor and find it such a good simple solution. It takes out a door or window and adds a piece of wall to fill in for a new door window to be placed. For a demo plan the display options would toggle demo'd doors/windows/wall/ etc. on or off. Which in turn would turn replacements on/off.

Mark Gillis