BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Depth - based lineweights

Anonymous
Not applicable
Would be nice if there was a setting in the section / elevation window to enhance the lineweight based on 'depth', like classic drafting. That is, the perimeter of your along the roof (depth=infinite) should have a greater lineweight than the detail of say a door (depth=4").

Would also be nice to have similar controls in the sketch renderer.
4 REPLIES 4
Dwight
Newcomer
I agree with the principle of this approach, but it seems a little complex....

Play a little with the "marked distant area" control in the section dialog and see if this works for you.

Alternatively, it is fairly simple to outline a building elevation using the magic wand if you need a "cheap draftsman's trick." That would be a really old trick considering that it got it's name before we, being politically correct, called it a "cheap drafterperson's trick."
Dwight Atkinson
Aussie John
Newcomer
Dwight wrote:
Play a little with the "marked distant area" control in the section dialog and see if this works for you.
I find this option pretty useful but wish it could be staggered like the main section line
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
TomWaltz
Participant
I think what the section "distant" tools needed is an intelligent method to adjust pen weights.

For example, if your company uses pens 11 to 20, with 11 being the lightest and 20 being the thickest, the section tool could have a logic like:
For every 10' distant (up to end of section extent) subtract 1 from pen number
You could do the same thing for rows of pens, if you use colors 21, 31, 41, 51 etc, adjust it to be "subtract 10 from pen number."

Another logic would be to set line thicknesses, such as:
CUT line = .50mm, Cut Skin =  .25mm, 
FOR each 10 feet, subtract .125mm  
Whatever the final logic, it would need to be variable based on how offices use pen colors, but still allow for massive variation in depth. The current "distant override" is a nice start, but still needs some work to achieve the "professionally drafted" look architects desire.
Tom Waltz
Paul King
Advisor
Unfortunately, some penweights depend not only on the distance away, but the distance to the next object beyond the element - for example a ridge of a building against the sky, or against a distant building vs a lean-to roof joint against a higher wall behind.

In other situatons, penweight depends entirely on the element to be emphasised- eg windows openings need emphasis, yet may only have a slight step between reveal and glass behind.
PAUL KING | https://www.prime.net.nz
ArchiCAD 8-27 | Twinmotion 2023
Windoze 11 PC | Intel Core i9 10900K | Nvidia Gforce RTX 3080 | 32 Gb DDR3 | 2x4K monitor extended desktop
Learn and get certified!