BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Detail Back Referencing

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ive brought this up in forums a couple of times before not sure if there has been any progress since then but what I am after is a way for my details to be back referenced automatically.

When I do my details I create each detail in their own 'Independant Detail'
each of these details is placed on the different page layouts near the end of the drawing set

I reference these independant details with the in-built 'Detail Tool' detail markers, these create true linked details throughout my drawing set
enabling me to right click on the placed markers whether they be in floor plans or cross sections with the option to select 'open detail drawing' which opens the source detail.
and when in the navigator view map I can right click on the independant detail, select 'find linked markers' and it will tell me what pages the detail is referenced to I can also pick one of those and it will open the page in the drawing and zoom to the previously placed reference marker.

each detail title is within it own independent detail and is labelled with autotext '#Drawing Name' which pulls the drawing name automatically from the name given to it in the navigator view map.

When that detail is placed on the layout it uses the details built in detail marker to pull the detail Number and its drawing scale and place it in the round marker

You may notice there is a back refernce button on the detail marker tool but I have never been able to get this to work it always comes up greyed out and saying the Back reference function is only available of this Drawings source has a linked marker.

and so I have to go through and manually type in the pages the detail is found on to finish the back referencing on my job, this can take me a good hour or 2 by itself with anywhere from 70 -120 details to back reference

It seems like I have done everything else right but the back reference option has never worked
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
due to only being able to do one attachment at a time on the forum here is the second attachment pertaining to above
Anonymous
Not applicable
Detail Back Referencing seems to be a fundamental part of drawing referencing Ie it is something that should be done and done accurately also the fact that it is included in Archicad but doesnt seem to work seems odd to me.

Also strange that I havent had much feedback on this yet.
Erwin Edel
Rockstar
I don't use this at all, but there is a bit about back referencing in the Reference Guide, it uses drawing titles.

I know you can use the detailmarker tool to place linked markers on views and the drawing title should then be able to recognise this.

It seems strange that it isn't working for you.
Erwin Edel, Project Lead, Leloup Architecten
www.leloup.nl

ArchiCAD 9-26NED FULL
Windows 10 Pro
Adobe Design Premium CS5
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think one is able to back reference "Independent Markers". They must be "Drawings". If someone could prove me wrong, and supply instructions on how one would back reference an Independent Marker, that would be greatly appreciated.

H
Dendarii
Booster
Agreed that Back Referencing on drawings titles needs to be enabled for linked markers (it is currently greyed out for linked markers).

Back Referencing only works for detail/worksheet markers if they are placed as a 'source' marker - a source marker only creates a 2D linework drawing.

We use 3D construction details now (which I believe should be the default option for detail markers - as per Reviy and other BIM software); currently in Archicad for example a 3D plan detail is created by drawing a small marquee around required detail area - save as 3D document - then place a detail marker over the same position and link the marker to the 3D document created.

Thanks and apologies for digging up an old thread!
Architect

Archicad user since 2001
Learn and get certified!