BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Detail of a wall section

Anonymous
Not applicable
I have a wall section that extends from the foundation up to the roof with a window that has been placed. I have placed detail markers for the head and sill of the window as well as the foundation and roof / wall intersection. In the details I add lots of other things that you don't necessarily see in the wall section like flashings, weep holes, wood blocking, floor base, reinforcing etc. Those items can only be viewed in the detail. What I would like to see is the option in the detail markers for the wall section to bring the image of the detail into the wall section almost like an overlay that is within the bounds of the detail marker bubble. There should also be an option in the detail marker to lock out a rebuild of the detail.

Also the image within the detail marker would always be on top of the wall section so when an automatic rebuild occurs the detail image will always be seen.

Make sense? Was this suggested before?
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Sounds like an interesting idea, but in my normal fashion, I wonder how it would be practical.

How would you define which detail items come thru to the section? Surely there would be too much information in a 1:5 window detail for display in a 1:50 section. Then there's things like notes and leader lines, large scale fills etc. You would end up with lots of detail information in areas of your section that have been detailed, and none (automatically) over the rest of your section.

How about just copy/paste the bits you really want to see from your detail to your section? When pasted in, group them, so if you need to update, it's a simple copy/paste again, and the previous information is easy to select and delete.

(On this note, I find it odd that detail and section do not have the same origin when copying/pasting).
Geoff Briggs
Mentor
If I understand correctly, you want to see your details overlaid on their source view. An intriguing idea.

One thing I do that might serve as an alternate is draft additional detail information directly on the source view using dedicated layers. I save a working view stripped of extraneous junk for this purpose. This has the advantages of working out the details in context and keeping everything aligned that I gather you are after. In the detail window I do any final polishing and add annotation and dimensions as needed. HTH
Regards,
Geoff Briggs
I & I Design, Seattle, USA
AC7-27, M1 Mac, OS 14.x
owen
Newcomer
s2art wrote:
(On this note, I find it odd that detail and section do not have the same origin when copying/pasting).
Have you moved the Detail bubbles moveable origin onto the sections origin? The difference between the two is the distant elements will be offset when copy/pasting between windows.

I've never understood why this moveable origin is there for Details and why it does not default to the source origin rather than the center of the detail bubble. Many people don't realise this is the reason nothing pastes to the right spot
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Anonymous
Not applicable
Thanks for the tip, Owen. Should have been obvious.
owen
Newcomer
Yes it should have been but it isn't ... there is absolutely no mention that i can find in either the Archicad Reference Guide nor the Help menu of this detail origin. I think we only found its purpose by accident when someone was playing with the then new Detail tool.

Does anyone have any tips on uses for this not being located on the source view origin?
cheers,

Owen Sharp

Design Technology Manager
fjmt | francis-jones morehen thorp

iMac 27" i7 2.93Ghz | 32GB RAM | OS 10.10 | Since AC5
Learn and get certified!