BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Detail tool deterrent

Aussie John
Newcomer
there a couple of things that prevent me using the detail tool (which is a great idea in principle)

1)3d editablility is lost so in early staes of a project it is not work setting up details

2)origin in plan detail (and section) moves to the centre of the detail. Cutting and pasting items from the main plan are now awkward

I could possibly use the detail tool without item 1) so long as there is an option to retain the origin ( item 2)

Development of the detail tool must continue well past the current level of refinement
Cheers John
John Hyland : ARINA : www.arina.biz
User ver 4 to 12 - Jumped to v22 - so many options and settings!!!
OSX 10.15.6 [Catalina] : Archicad 22 : 15" MacBook Pro 2019
[/size]
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
I discovered recently that you can reference a section to show the plotmaker sheet. Is it possible to back reference the section to the plotmaker sheet with the plan?
No, the communication is 1 way, but... if you organize your details...
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
While we're at it (and I haven't had time to read every line of every post, so excuse me if it has already been mentioned), I would like the detail to to be able to be placed on the floor plan, but actually cut a section through the model, where it is placed and have that appear directly in the detail window. This will save us cutting a (sometimes unwanted) section through the building, and then taking a detail from that.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link,

If they let us link detail markers to section/elevation windows, you could mostly do what you want. Sure you'd have to create a section/elevation too but it would help.

Not that I don't support your idea. I just wanted to put out mine too.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
While we're at it (and I haven't had time to read every line of every post, so excuse me if it has already been mentioned), I would like the detail to to be able to be placed on the floor plan, but actually cut a section through the model, where it is placed and have that appear directly in the detail window. This will save us cutting a (sometimes unwanted) section through the building, and then taking a detail from that.
Why not just cut a small section?
Aussie John
Newcomer
Matthew wrote:
Yes possible but an extra step work around none the less
Cheers John
[/size]
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Yes possible but an extra step work around none the less
What is the extra step? I have often used this approach to make section details. Now that the section markers can look anyway I want them (i.e. acceptable) there is no other step. Just place the marker, open the section, finish the drawing.

Honestly, I don't think this is a work around but best practice for section details that do not appear in building sections (for those I like the detail tool).
Aussie John
Newcomer
Matthew if all you want is a section detail then creating a 3d section first is an extra step
Cheers John
[/size]
Link
Graphisoft Partner
Graphisoft Partner
With all due respect Matthew, I just don't think we should have to. I know as well as you do how simple it is to work around, but is this ArchiCAD or WorkaroundCAD? I train people constantly, and I have come to realize just how many times I need to explain workarounds. When a complete newbie asks me why the deatil tool doesn't cut a section from the floor plan, this new 'perspective' forces me to think back to basics, and makes me realize that they do have a valid point. As I keep telling GS - please let us have some consistency!

Looking forward to meeting you in the next few days.

Cheers,
Link.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Aussie wrote:
Matthew if all you want is a section detail then creating a 3d section first is an extra step
The section IS the detail. No extra step involved.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Link wrote:
With all due respect Matthew, I just don't think we should have to. I know as well as you do how simple it is to work around, but is this ArchiCAD or WorkaroundCAD? I train people constantly, and I have come to realize just how many times I need to explain workarounds. When a complete newbie asks me why the deatil tool doesn't cut a section from the floor plan, this new 'perspective' forces me to think back to basics, and makes me realize that they do have a valid point. As I keep telling GS - please let us have some consistency!
Perhaps I am dense, but I don't see how it is a work around to use the section tool to make a section detail. I agree that there are issues of consistency of operation that need to be addressed throughout the program (as discussed extensively at New working environment) but these are issues that need to be addressed in a larger context.

The only problem I can see with using the section tool for these section details is that they will be listed in the Navigator separately from details drawn from building sections. This isn't a problem for me since I don't have any cross over in these techniques (it could happen though) and they drawings can be reordered in the view set as needed.

The difficulty I have with using the detail tool to cut sections is that it would become significantly more complicated by adding to it all the features of the section tool. This complexity raises the issue from a simple isolated wish into the broader topic of the overall organization of all the drawing types and how they interrelate.
Looking forward to meeting you in the next few days.

Cheers,
Link.
And I you. ACU events are always a grand time.
Learn and get certified!