BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimension Chains based on each other (parent-child relations

Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
I would like to be able to have one Dimension Chain that is based on another Dimension Chain. This would mean that it measured all the same points that its "parent" Dimension Chain measured, plus its own set of points.
For example: we need to dimension all the various portions of an elevation. Then, within those portion, we need to dimension the centers of Doors/Window or the width of Doors/Windows. This latter could be based on the former and would keep the dependency as long as the user wanted.
Also, the portions of elevations Chain could be based on the Total length of the elevation Dimension Chain and so on.
This would be sort of like Styles in Word: on is based on another plus the differences.
Dimension Chains could be made dependent on another Dimension Chain at any time, this dependency could be broken as well at any time.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
2 REPLIES 2
I must be missing something. Normally I get that effect by drawing the first dimension string, dragging a copy, and inserting (command-clicking) or deleting points for the new string. While the two strings are not related to each other, both are related to the same points (which is the foolproof cool thing about dragging the copy).

What would the parent-child relationship add to that?

[only thing I can think of after typing the above, which is not minor: fixed distance between dimension strings, so that you drag one and the several related dimension strings move together)
Laszlo Nagy
Community Admin
Community Admin
By parent-child behaviour I mean you change the parent (like enter a new point or delete one) and the child also changes, you do not have to do the same on the other dimension chain as well.
Loving Archicad since 1995 - Find Archicad Tips at x.com/laszlonagy
AMD Ryzen9 5900X CPU, 64 GB RAM 3600 MHz, Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB, 500 GB NVMe SSD
2x28" (2560x1440), Windows 10 PRO ENG, Ac20-Ac27
Learn and get certified!