BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024

Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!

Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimension nodes

Tom Krowka
Booster
In lieu of stretching the object, or changing the size, or adding a section of dimension and then cutting out the unwanted dimension string, how about the ability to stretch a dimension by moving it's end point. For ex., moving a dimension from one side of a wall to another.
Tom Krowka Architect
Windows 11, AC Version 26
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable
Confused me you have. How is this different from selecting the dimension and ctrl-clicking the new location? Or are you asking for something else completely?
Tom Krowka
Booster
Would like to stretch the zone and have the dimension stretch with it and show the new measurement
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
So this sounds more like a zoning tool issue, since you're hoping the dimensions change as the zones are adjusted. Similar issues have been discussed in the past, mainly the fact that since zones are not always square or rectangular, how do you determine which walls the dimensions should apply to?

In any case, renaming this topic to include the word "zones" might get you more answers. I'm still waiting to see which direction this will go as things get more clarified (I get a bit dense at times ).
Tom Krowka
Booster
I'm familiar with the LxW issue with the zone tags, which I think is essential, actually, beyond essential.

This is a dimensioning issue. I want the placed dimension (vertical or horizontal) to change (on the outside of the zone itself, nothing to do with the tag) when I change the size of the tag. The dim is placed by me, so I've resolved the issue of which is longest leg, etc.
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Anonymous
Not applicable
Tom wrote:
I want the placed dimension (vertical or horizontal) to change (on the outside of the zone itself, nothing to do with the tag) when I change the size of the tag.
So THAT's what you meant... K, now we're talking.

As for accomplishing this, while it may be a good feature, it may not be possible for it to work. What if the shape of the zone changes (either by having a side add nodes, or it having less nodes)? Which node would the dimension need to snap to? I think the solution will need to be a zone label, which again would have it's own problem of deciding which dimension to take. The more I read on this topic, the more I realize how difficult the automation of it is.

So, it'd be nice, but IMHO fairly difficult, if even possible.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I know nothing about zones, so please feel free to correct me if necessary.....

When placing dimensions can you turn of all layers except those with zones on, dimension to the zone nodes (as opposed to walls, slabs etc), then when zones are stretched dimensions should follow?

(The reason I suggest this... I get annoyed when placing dimensions manually, particularly on details etc. and you pick a point and the dimension reads from a fill node rather than the endpoint of a line, for example. I occasionally delete or modify fills, while still wanting the line to remain, but the dimension follows what the fill has done. I would like dimensions to fix to lines or walls by default, rather than to fills (would be my last option). I know you can keep selecting the same node point and it will cycle through fill node, line node, another line node till you get the one you want, but it would be easier if you didn't have to do this).

Thanks for your time.
Anonymous
Not applicable
s2art wrote:
I know nothing about zones, so please feel free to correct me if necessary.....

When placing dimensions can you turn of all layers except those with zones on, dimension to the zone nodes (as opposed to walls, slabs etc), then when zones are stretched dimensions should follow?
I have never dimensioned to zones before so I decided to check before saying "Of course you can... I do that for walls... etc."

In fact, it appears that dimensions set to zones are not associative. They are placed as static dimensions. I guess this is because the zones are considered to be annotation tools (like labels, dimensions, text, etc.). But this seems more than a bit strange since the enclosed spaces defined by the zones is every bit as important a part of the building (if not more so) as the walls, etc. which enclose them.

The funny thing is that all the drafting tools (even hotspots) can have associative dimensions.

BTW You can tell you are getting a static dimension when the little cross hairs have a square around them rather than the circle.
Anonymous
Not applicable
Matthew wrote:
But this seems more than a bit strange since the enclosed spaces defined by the zones is every bit as important a part of the building (if not more so) as the walls, etc. which enclose them.

I think the limitation is more due to the zones themselves rather to the importance of zones. Both zones and dimensions adjust as needed. Though you should be able to "dimension" associatively to dimension nodes, and then when a node disappears, have the "associated dimension node" become static or disappear altogether.

The problem with dimensioning to zones is that if you do an update on the zone, a "side" can go from 2 nodes to 20, or from 20 to 2. The question then is which node should the dimension remain attached to? No matter which rules you use, there's bound to be people that would have preferred things to work differently (even opposite if that'd be an option).

So at that point why not just dimension to the walls and be done with the whole thing? Or in other words, dimension to the zone boundaries, whatever they may be.
Tom Krowka
Booster
I don't have walls surrounding zones. I'm using the zones for schematics and adding information to the tags. I'm trying to get around the fact that the zones don't have length x width, and trying to display some size for the Client without manually putting it in. Then changing it every time I change the zone size......remember this is schematic/conceptual and everything changes umpteen times.

And remember.....time is money. That's why we have software; it's supposed to automate the drafting.....leaving us time to design, right?
Tom Krowka Architect
Thomas@wkarchwk.com
www.walshkrowka.com
Learn and get certified!