BIM Coordinator Program (INT) April 22, 2024
Find the next step in your career as a Graphisoft Certified BIM Coordinator!
Wishes
Post your wishes about Graphisoft products: Archicad, BIMx, BIMcloud, and DDScad.

Dimension prefix and suffix

Anonymous
Not applicable
with regards to the dimension text, I would like to see an option to add text before and/or after the measured value. (i.e. typ., verify, +/-, .... etc.) For me this would eliminate almost every instance where I need to use custom text. This has come up in a few other dimensioning wishes, but I did not see it as wish on it's own.
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable
I agree some sort of indicator to show whether dimensions are live vs. custom would greatly reduce errors. Preferrably a nonprinting indication. As for the text below the line, I think the better option would be to allow for multiline text in the dimension text which could still be relocated as is currently possible, this would accomplish the same thing with greater flexibility than just forcing an extra line of text below the dim line. I know autocad does this, (though I am pretty sure it is the only autocad feature I prefer over archicad)
TomWaltz
Participant
Now that Revit 2009 has it http://knowingwhatyoudontknow.blogspot.com/2008/02/welcome-to-revit-architecture-2009.html
Maybe we'll finally get it.
Tom Waltz
Karl Ottenstein
Merged new post with existing wish: if you voted in the new poll and not the old one (this one), vote again.

As for me, this has always been 'essential'...

Karl / Moderator
One of the forum moderators
AC 27 USA and earlier   •   macOS Ventura 13.6.6, MacBook Pro M2 Max 12CPU/30GPU cores, 32GB
John Dunham
Participant
This is essential. Its been in VectorWorks for years... 🙂
John

OS X 10.15.7
Anonymous
Not applicable
I don't think we need the Measured Value or Custom fields at all. Make AutoText the only place to create your dimension text. The dimension value can always be <toL1value> and you can put it in a text string wherever you want -- even on a second line. For as long as I can remember (and I'm old) AutoCAD has had the <> code that you could put anywhere in the string. I find it hard to believe that after 20 years the linear dimension tool doesn't have this ability.
Anonymous
Not applicable
I've just recently found this to be an essential item. I have a building under construction right now that has two concrete tilt-wall panels that are 1'-0" too high because the dimension didn't update, and who can remember to check every single dimension every time you issue a drawing?

One of the key components of documenting with any virtual building/BIM software is the automation of tags, detail numbers, etc., and it seems that dimensions should be right there with them. The "work around" of using additional text entities negates the dynamic nature of a "live" dimension. If we make a building taller, or stretch a window, then we have to remember to go and move the additional text, which is opposite of the automated nature of BIM software.

I think all of the suggestions in this discussion are valid, and I'm sure most would find uses for all of them. In my opinion, this should be in the "bug" area, and not here as a "whish list" item.
Learn and get certified!